Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

If Bombardier gets contract first cars won't be due till 2010. they just signed a contract for 1000 cars for CTA in Chicago and they will be built in Plattsburgh, first car due in 2009 last cars due 2010. so CDOT as ussual will be last in line.

by Clean Cab

I've heard that if Bombardier gets the contract (like there's a chance they won't???) they will open a new facility possibly near New Haven. Some on MNRR are suggesting that a CDOT owned portion of Cedar Hill Yard could be used. We'll all just have to wait and see.

by DutchRailnut

I don't believe that rumor as it would take more than 4 years to built any shop.
And no building with sufficient rail inside or cranes exist in New Haven or connecticut.
this is probably wishfull yhinking by some of people to built them in state but it won't happen.

by Tadman

I can take care of the lack of cranes issue in 8-10 weeks, provided somebody will pay for them.

by Alcoman

Mayby Bombardier should reopen the plant in Vermont which could help out the backlog.

by Clean Cab

We're all speculating on something that hasn't happened yet. I find it quite hard to believe that Bombardier can't find a factory or plant somewhere in the entire northeast that would suit their needs. Why not use the Brooklyn Navy Yard where the M4s were assembled? But I'm just guessing as is everyone else.

Let's all just wait and see.
  by thedarkliberator

The M8s are to be built by Kawasaki.

by Otto Vondrak

We can speculate and guess all we want, it's nothing until it happens.

-otto-

by CComMack

Excuse me if this has already been answered elsewhere, but TSOR with both the site search function and Google failed to turn up an answer. Is SLE currently slated to receive any M8s, and if not, is it likely that they ever will? Corollary questions: Is this something that is currently known? Is it reliant on SLE's rounding out its complement of high platforms?

Thanks in advance.

by DutchRailnut

SLE will not currently get any M-8's, for SLE diesel service is way cheaper than the electric bill Amtrak would present.
The options on M-8 for 25Kv operation or 11.5 Kv(25Hz) operation and ACSES is only for future expansion if it were ever to happen, but nothing is in planning.

by Clean Cab

I have to dissagree!! Both CDOT and the Connecticut Rail Commuter Council have stated that all M8s will be operating on SLE trains. In fact acceptance testing will include running them on the Shore Line. All M8s will come with 25k and ACSES capability.

They may not start running right away on the Shore Line, but plans do call for M8s to be used SLE jobs that will run from Old Saybrook to GCT.

by benltrain

capecodlocoguy wrote:I have to dissagree!! Both CDOT and the Connecticut Rail Commuter Council have stated that all M8s will be operating on SLE trains. In fact acceptance testing will include running them on the Shore Line. All M8s will come with 25k and ACSES capability.

They may not start running right away on the Shore Line, but plans do call for M8s to be used SLE jobs that will run from Old Saybrook to GCT.
Do you mean all M8's will be able to operate on SLE? I think you didn't mean they all will be going to SLE, and not MNRR.

by Clean Cab

Yes, the design specs call for ALL M8s to be built with both 25k and ACSES (or at least ACSES capability) systems. This way the M8 will be a truly universal vehicle that can run where ever there is AC overhead wire and DC 3rd rail.