Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Train538

Word on the street is that a test train may run up to Boston, MA in a couple of weeks. This is per a friend of a friend who works for Kawasaki. Hopefully this goes through and turns out to be successful.
  by The EGE

Boston, huh? That raises some very interesting possibilities. MBTA electrified service is probably a non-starter (and has been beat to death) but Rhode Island has previously expressed the possibility of splitting from the T and running electric service.
  by DutchRailnut

The cars won't go past New London, betya ;-)
  by runningwithscalpels

Train538 wrote:Word on the street is that a test train may run up to Boston, MA in a couple of weeks. This is per a friend of a friend who works for Kawasaki. Hopefully this goes through and turns out to be successful.
I'll believe it the day I see footage plastered all over my subscription feed on Youtube.
  by ericr

The EGE wrote:Boston, huh? That raises some very interesting possibilities. MBTA electrified service is probably a non-starter (and has been beat to death) but Rhode Island has previously expressed the possibility of splitting from the T and running electric service.
If this happens, it's probably just for testing and not really a demo of some sort (why would MBTA or Rhode Island want something with third rail?). I know SEPTA/Amtrak ran a couple Silverliner Vs though the fast, straight part of the NEC in NJ for some kinds of speed test, maybe this is similar.
  by The EGE

The third rail capability would be irrelevant. What matters is that the M8s are the only MUs qualified for 25kV @ 60Hz and thus are the only off-the-shelf MU option available should Rhode Island desire all-electric service.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

ericr wrote:
The EGE wrote:Boston, huh? That raises some very interesting possibilities. MBTA electrified service is probably a non-starter (and has been beat to death) but Rhode Island has previously expressed the possibility of splitting from the T and running electric service.
If this happens, it's probably just for testing and not really a demo of some sort (why would MBTA or Rhode Island want something with third rail?). I know SEPTA/Amtrak ran a couple Silverliner Vs though the fast, straight part of the NEC in NJ for some kinds of speed test, maybe this is similar.
They can easily build 'em with just the 60 Hz/25 kV input and no third rail. Much cheaper and lighter that way. I'm sure RIDOT is going to evaluate them, but the shared services with the MBTA (who I can't see going for MU's even if they eventually get dragged kicking and screaming into electrics) make the scale of swinging a purchase difficult.

Anyway, they're still 8 years away from initiating instate service and it's moot if the T bids and wins the operator contract. This is probably some sort of burn-in test...let 'em run for a few hours non-stop. Amtrak dispatches everything from New Haven to Boston so it's no big deal to borrow some rare mileage.
  by Clean Cab

I doubt RIDOT or MBTA would want the M8 design. Not having third rail capability is much more complicated than just removing the shoes. It would in volve a total redesign of the entire traction system and when it gets that complex, you'd be better off designing a whole new car.
  by The EGE

I understand that it requires more work than just taking off the shoes. But, theoretically, which is going to be cheaper - designing a new catenary-only MU, or taking this existing design and redesigning some electronics?
  by DutchRailnut

Lets stay with MNCR/CDOT and not discuss potential use for Kawasaki cars in whatever shape or form
  by Train538

DutchRailnut wrote:The cars won't go past New London, betya ;-)
I have a funny feeling they won't go past New London as well, but at the same time, there are some pretty straight sections of track (Kingston, RI & Mansfield, MA) up north so maybe they'll do some speed testing. Obviously we'll have to wait and see.
  by DutchRailnut

the M-8's currently run 90 mph every day, their max speed is 100 mph, we do not need the shoreline to prove they can do 100 mph.
  by Clean Cab

They'll never run above 90 anywhere on the shoreline. Amtrak's timetable limts non Acela and non Amfleet trains to a maximum of 90 MPH at all locations between New Haven and Boston. Their average speed would be about 75 MPH on the entire shoreline, which is only slightly higher than they currently operate on the New Haven Line.
  by The EGE

Why are MUs timetable limited limited to 90mph NHV-BOS?
  by nomis

SEPTA's SL V's needed to run on some higher speed track (outside of it's normal operating area) to get accepted for 100mph running for amtrak while going 10% over 100mph to prove they can go 100mph. Dutch, you should ask the amtrak pilot that ran those trips ...