Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

cars upto 9202-9203 are already in revenue service.
not all cars in lower numbers are accepted, inluding 4 who where involved in a derailment during shipping a few months back.
those 4 cars are at Yonkers for repairs and final acceptance
  by Train538

9212/9213, 9214/9215, & 9216/9217 arrived in Selkirk this morning.
  by Train538

9100's pantograph almost fell off between catenary poles 622 & 628 due to the overhead wire sagging very low to the train (1542). Obviously this is heat-related.
  by Clean Cab

Train538 wrote:9100's pantograph almost fell off between catenary poles 622 & 628 due to the overhead wire sagging very low to the train (1542). Obviously this is heat-related.
That's just west of Green's Farms one of the worst spots for sagging wire during hot days and tight wire on cold days. Even under normal conditions the wire is barely 16 feet above the rail. It was designed like that by the New Haven Railroad for goodness only knows what reason.
  by Jeff Smith

Well you can't blame McGinnis for it. A lot of other stuff, yeah. Is track curvature a nightmare there? And at least the 8's pants are designed to not snarl the wire.
  by Clean Cab

McGinnis can be blamed, a bit. Yes, the wire in that section was put up between 1912 and 1914. McGinnis is to blame for cutting all wire maintainance programs during his time as NHRR president. If fact he had planned to take down all overhead wire east of Stamford and use nothing but FL-9's.

We better get back to talking about M8's on this thread before our unofficial moderator gets on our case!!! :)
  by DutchRailnut

maybe even the official moderator ;-)
  by Train2009

CSX Q380 had 3 M8 cars on its way to Selkirk, NY as it went by Palatine Bridge, New York this morning 06/23 at 7:15 AM.
  by DutchRailnut

they only come in even numbers so its 2 - 4 or 6 as they are pairs of cars.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Sunday a week ago, I was "out" for a family visit.

Between about 930A (Breakfast) and 1045A (Church), I "hung out" at Riverside (sitting in my rented auto and otherwise reading The Times) to watch the action and now can say I have seen an M-8. The consist of three trains during that timeframe had these cars.

But alas, to ride an M-8 will have to wait for another visit, as I did not have occasion to go into town - in fact I never West on the ground of KHPN - Westchester Airport.
  by Train2009

The 12:37 PM Local Train out of GCT to Stamford, CT which the M8s should been running this afternoon had to be deadheaded to Stamford Yard, I saw that deadhead going by Port Chester before 1:30 PM headed east. What happened to this M8 Set?
  by DutchRailnut

still only 108 conditionaly accepted and another 8 or so in testing stages.
website has not been updated in over a month.
  by milkyoreo27

So I see that Fairfield Metro is now on the automated announcements.
  by DutchRailnut

yup have been for last 5 weeks, as of today 114 cars in service.