Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Train538

1353's consist last Friday (December 30th) was 9135/9134, 9127/9126, 9109/9108, & 9155/9154.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk3mTu9R ... AAAAAAAIAA
(YT user NJCoastExp's video)
  by RearOfSignal

Railcars are dirtier than usual during winter because car wash can only be used above a certain temperature. Also state of CT pays for car washes so the dirtiest cars may not get cleaned, just what's next coming into the yard depending on several factors.
  by DutchRailnut

with temeratures above freezing the Stamford car wash did not get shut down much yet.
It may be that MNCR is nervous about running the M-8's trough the wash after 6 computers got soaked, due to open windows.
  by RearOfSignal

That was more than a year ago... Hopefully some people know how to do their jobs by now!
  by Train538

9148/9149 was the lead pair on 1538 today.
  by Jeff Smith

In the Penn Station Access Study discussion, it was mentioned that the Lincoln cars all had the over/under shoes. Does MNRR have any plans for testing these? How would they get them to LIRR territory to do so?
  by Patrick A.

No need to test them Jeff when they cannot even be used practically. As Dutch always points out, you need the 1+ mile of LIRR third rail for each track and a substation before any M-8's can even physically get into Penn. Not to mention negotiating with Amtrak as to having to share track space on the Hell Gate Branch and into Penn.
  by Jeff Smith

I disagree. This shoe is part of the design of the M8 and should be tested. Yes, as a practical matter, they are as useless as t!ts on a bull in that they can't reach the territory for which there is no guarantee that they will run on. Nevertheless, the function was paid for and should work. What if all of a sudden they build the third rail extension and they're ready to go and we find the shoes won't work 6 years after delivery? Kawasaki would have every right to say "sorry, you should have tested them 6 years ago". Otherwise, why even bother having the capability?
  by DutchRailnut

The shoe mech was tested on m-7's and work, as for the M-8 it realy does not know difference between ConEd or Lipa power, 700 Volt DC is 700 Volt DC
  by Jeff Smith

Thanks, Dutch. I assume you mean a modifed LIRR M-7, not an M7a.
  by DutchRailnut

on both the M7a were tested on MNCR and the M-7's on LIRR, you don't need to switch cars between railroads.
The Mech works, kind of there is a APP for that ;-)
  by SwingMan

Didn't they run a LIRR M7 out of Grand Central way back when?
  by Train538

Yes, for testing purposes. Getting back on topic, can someone confirm if the Lincoln cars have movable & retractable third-rail shoes? I know the NH Washboards did.

5492 (eastbound deadhead I believe) just went by Southport with a set. Not sure what the numbers were, but the radio on the east car was having some terrible feedback problems. Took the engineer 5 times to fix it.
  by DutchRailnut

they are not retractable, they are just a different mechanism that allows the shoe to be used on LIRR and MNCR third rail.
just look at different design of both shoe and mechanism on Japanese and on Lincoln cars.
I already posted pictures and will not do it again.
  by gregorygrice

Two M8 pairs, one with #9110 are currently at the Kawasaki Facility in Yonkers. There's also a MBTA Bi-level on warranty service there.