• M-1 Railfanning curtain continues to fall

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by M1 9147

Joe, and others, to put a notation on it it was 9891/2 which was renumbered 9945/6. The real high number of the M3 is 9943/4. I remember the whole thing to this day when the incident occured, and I was home when my father told me to turn on Channel 4 when Chuck Scarborough came on during the broadcast of Tom Brokaw on NBC news and stated the fact. Right after I turned on my then new Uniden Bearcat Scanner when Divide tower was giving train orders on the trains east of the whole mess. The very last train that night for a while to arrive Port Jeff was train 664 which usually passes 1256 between Merillon Ave., and Mineola. I believe that train was on #2 track that night which was very odd since that train usually operates on #1 track. That was one very cold December night in 1993.
  by N340SG

As I recall it, 9891/892 were sent to a siding somewhere and quietly stripped of seats and wainscot panels (After police investigation was finished, of course). New seats, wainscot panels, and whatever else was needed were put in. I believe the cars were put back into service within a couple of months, complete with their new numbers of 9945/946.

Perhaps people assumed that the two cars would never see revenue service again. Few, if any, people probably even asked what happened to the two cars. Even in the shops, only sharp-eyed persons such as myself asked where the heck did we get 9945/946 from all of a sudden, and quickly (and correctly) figured it out.

I think we can all guarantee that the LIRR management meant no disrespect to the families affected in this incident. They probably just couldn't afford to scrap a pair of cars at that time.

Clem, anything to add or correct me on...go ahead.

by Clemuel

Tom,

Not really much to add... I was in the cars right after the shooting. It was a sight that luckily very few people in the US get to see. The blood was so deep on the floor that got into my shoes.

The cars were cleaned up by an outside contractor and somewhat refurbished in the shops as Tom said. If you look closely you can see the patched bullet holes in the stainless sides. Excellent work went into repairing the stainless.

I do recall the awful smell when the floor heat went on after the cars were put back into service... a smell you really don't forget.

Several years after the incident one of the prison guards who dealt with the shooter happened to be hired by the Railroad. He told the story of how the criminal was tormented by the guards who had him believing that the newly passed capital punishment laws would apply to him. They would torment him day and night about it. As it turned out, the crime was before that legislation passed, so his life was spared.

Nobody even suggested scrapping the cars; there would be no reason to, short of costing the taxpayers another three million dollars.

Clem

by AmtrakPhill629

I think that there should be a railfan trip on the M1's before they are retired

by LIRRNOVA55

i second that. . .that would be awsome

by Long Island 7285

IM down for an M1 fare well tour. if not just an excursion.

im also down to help prepare the cars used. maby restoring the stripes or somthing to that effect, and any thing else that i can be of help with.

by M1 9147

I'm up for it also. Long live the M1's!

by Richard Glueck

For us old guys, we rode the MP54's, MP70's, etc.,the M1's are new equipment! Doesn't seem like 30 years of service time to me. When they first came online we took a fan trip on them all over the Island's electrified branches.
So in the end, how many pairs of M1's will be preserved as museum stock?

by Otto Vondrak

Who needs M-1's when you have R-44's? Same thing to me. The M-1's are just a little older than myself, yet I feel no affinity for them. But some people seem to like them, so that's okay, too. I'm just trying to imagine myself in the far future contemplating the "Farewell to the M-7 Fan Trip!"

Trying to preserve an M-1 in a museum would have the same challenges as trying to "restore" a "classic" 1992 Dodge Shadow ES. Old railroad cars were made of steel and wood (with nifty bakelite switches). Today, cars contain a lot of plastic, foams, and other similar pieces that would be difficult to "restore." Certainly, future generations of preservationists will have their work cut out for them!

-otto-

by Liquidcamphor

In my own opinion, the only nostalgia I have for the M-1/3's are that they are the last all American made electric railcars the LIRR will ever buy. The faster they are gone the better. That rediculous cab is aweful to spend any time in. They are much better looking than the M-7's....those look like something Godzilla should be tossing around. Some say the M-1's saved the LIRR and brought it back from the brink of extinction. I disagree with that because it was a taxpayers of the State of New York who saved the LIRR not the M-1's.

Maybe in honor of the taxpayers we should have a "Taxpayer" railfanning trip and ride taxpayers all around the railroad and forget the M-1's.

Just my own thoughts.
  by N340SG

Guys,

There's one other possible scenario. I've been reluctant to post it because someone will take it as fact and say, "Tom N340 said this will definitely happen." I'm not saying that. It is merely a possibilty that has been brought up:

It is possible that a few of the overhauled M-1s may be kept around even after all M-7s are received. Here's why:

First, the next order of M-7s was cut to 158 cars from 170. That doesn't sound like a lot, but 12 cars is a train, or 6 trains short two cars apiece. Look at it that way.

More importantly, the LIRR has long suffered from a low spare ratio for it's M series EMU fleet. Keeping some M-1s around would give some breathing room.

All of this obviously would depend on several variables. Room to park the extra cars? Manpower costs to inspect, PI, and repair extra cars? Ridership at that time warrant the added number of cars? Can the M-7s maintain high MDBF, where the RR is comfortable that they will have a low OOS ratio? Etc.

Just keep in mind that the RR will have the option to keep a handful of M-1s at it's disposal. (No pun)

Tom

by AmtrakPhill629

When was the First M1 set retired? and what number was it?

by KFRG

To those who actually grew up in the era of the Budd cars, there is a special place in our hearts for them. Just as you older guys who remember the MP54's and FM units. Im sure the elders of that era were tossing them off as the garbage which replaced their beloved steam. As for MP54's, I can honestly say I feel no "affinity" towards them, because I have no recollection of them, but of course I respect them as LIRR history. It's all relative.

by N340SG

When was the First M1 set retired? and what number was it?
9361 and 9362, with the decommission date of December 13, 2002.

by Frank

KFRG wrote:To those who actually grew up in the era of the Budd cars, there is a special place in our hearts for them. Just as you older guys who remember the MP54's and FM units. Im sure the elders of that era were tossing them off as the garbage which replaced their beloved steam. As for MP54's, I can honestly say I feel no "affinity" towards them, because I have no recollection of them, but of course I respect them as LIRR history. It's all relative.
The M1s don't hold anything special for me. They're in bad shape, they don't ride well. It's better if they retire them ASAP.