• LV Niagara Falls Yard

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by WNYP431

A proposal was forwarded not long ago to regional leaders and private investors to make the yard a multi-modal facility, for transload, C&D processing, tie processing, and scrap....with money behind it....

Proposal has gone largely unattended. A shame.
  by charlie6017

Without delving into politics, it's a shame the city fathers are so short-sighted. The area needs jobs
and that would probably be a good way to create some. A shame indeed!

Charlie
  by WNYP431

I measured & photographed the remaining site in November...scalehouse & track....some of the ladders are left....a couple running tracks, the pig ramp...the leader off CSX main...the hopper area....it could be used for something if someone would get off their beeeehind. CSX ain't gonna do anything with it...they don't want what they have.

Perfect spot for locomotive/genset construction, car repair & storage, scrap processing, tie grinding, truck transfer...etc. I don't know what people are waiting for...it's right there. We should be switching it already. Why couldn't that be a rehab included in this "Billion for Buffalo" program?

I know....nobody wants jobs from industry anymore, they want bicycle trails and slot machines.

We'll see, I guess.
  by charlie6017

I don't know if it would happen any time soon, but if Amtrak ever stopped using the
Niagara Branch and the bridge to Canada closes...........hmmm---I wonder if CSX would
consider spinning the branch off to a short-line, namely GVT? Would be perfect, considering
the Falls Road already connects.

Thoughts anyone?

Charlie
  by WNYP431

GVT could already use it...and doesn't.

Thoughts?
  by Matt Langworthy

They can? I didn't know GVT had trackage rights on CSX west of Lockport.
  by WNYP431

Last I knew, yes....but there is currently nothing to run there for....NYSDOT has cut the leader into the yard for a bridge project on the 190 but the switch is still in at CSX...just a matter of getting in there and rehad work. Five of the original tracks are still in....could have used for storage cars if nothing else.....can't use it if you don't fix it up.

We'll see.
  by AbandonedRailroader

According to my sources, garbage from NYC may be railed in to be incinerated at Covanta in Niagara Falls NY which is about 2 miles from the LV yard. I don't know amount of car loads or date as of yet. I do know the industrial spur is off the csx line but I am just throwing this info out there and figure its unlikely they will use that yard although car storage would work good. We'll see.
  by WNYP431

I can confirm your rumor about the garbage...they've only been working on it now 7 years or more... That was one of the reasons for my visit up there....they'd have to have enough space to either Mi-Jack or otherwise unload containers and turn them around between tracks....access to the highway is easy. Chessie (of course) would only agree to one split of the train...no switching....and we'd have to do any brake testing to get the trains out of there......It's an excellent use for that facility.

It needs to be a short line or switching carrier handling the project, as CSX isn't going to do that stuff.

If the state was smart (?), they would require all the old railroad ties that they PAY to replace on short lines in this state be loaded and railed up there for processing at Covanta as well..."Morebark them", then truck them over for burning, instead of some short lines just being allowed to dump their ties down the embankments to sit in the watershed all the time.....

I will just sit and twiddle my thumbs again this winter...just waiting for that spare "million" to come around to do it myself.....