• LV Baggage cart question

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

by Brad Smith

I have 2 sets of trucks for LV baggage carts that I am restoring. Sand blasted one set and sprayed them with Rustoleum red. Made the bed out of oak and painted it Rustoleum green.

It would look good in the movie Polar Express as it is very Christmas-y looking but not very authentic! :wink:

My question is, what express agency did LV use, and would the carts have been in that agencies colors or did LV have their own paint scheme for carts? And to push my luck further, does anyone have paint code or Munsell numbers for the colors?

Thanks in advance.
  by GOLDEN-ARM

YES. THE LV USED "RAILWAY EXPRESS AGENCY" FOR THE EXPIDITED SHIPPING THEY DID, ON AND OFF LINE. THE RAILROAD USED IT'S OWN WAGONS, FOR NON-REA FREIGHT, MAIL, BAGGAGE, "STORES" SHIPMENTS, ETC. THEY ALSO USED VARIOUS HAND TRUCKS, AND BUGGIES. RAILWAY EXPRESS AGENCY (REA) ALSO USED THEIR OWN BAGGAGE/FREIGHT WAGONS, HAND TRUCKS, BUGGIES, ETC. THE REA HAD SPACE IT LEASED, INSIDE OF MOST LARGER RAILROAD STATIONS, AS WELL AS IT'S OWN STATIONS, OFF-LINE, TO HANDLE FREIGHT TO RAILROAD DESTINATIONS. THEY ALSO HAD THEIR OWN FLEET OF EXPRESS BOXCARS, WITH HIGH SPEED PASSENGER TRUCKS, STEAM HEAT CONNECTIONS, ETC., SO THEY COULD BE PLACED INTO ANY PASSENGER TRAIN. PICK A CART THAT YOU LIKE, AND MAKE YOURS LOOK LIKE IT. UNLESS YOU KNOW FOR SURE WHERE IT CAME FROM, MAKE YOURSELF HAPPY WITH IT. KUDOS FOR THE RESTORATION ON THAT FINE RAILROAD ITEM !!!