• Luggage rack replaced seats on lower level of C-3?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by queensdee223

One of the cars on a train going to Port Jeff last night looked like it had a luggage storage rack instead of seats in the middle on the lower level. I noticed it from outside the train and didn't get the car number or a photograph. Did I imagine that, or did they put that in? The others didn't have it. Thanks!
  by SwingMan

That is correct, it was likely the 4055 or 4061.

Originally, about a dozen cars were set-up to operate a similar level of parlor car and bar car service as the old fleet. The cars had a small bar in the "A" end, luggage racks on the lower level, and numbering for Hampton Reserve service. Over time the permanent bars were removed due to limited usage, the luggage racks were removed, and the seat numbering also removed. The old bar area is now just an empty space in C-3 trailers 4051, 4055, 4061, 4067, and 4071 where they will push a bar cart in.

In the summer on the Cannonball they set it up so that there is one of the 3 cars about mid train and run a bar car and make quite a bit of money (if you can get to it).
  by Fan Railer

So, quick hijack:

I take it that the reserve cars are located mid-consist and not at the ends? Or did I misinterpret?
  by SwingMan

Head 3 cars eastbound, rear three cars westbound. This year it was (east to west): 4061-4055-4071. "Bar cars" were the 5th car (4051) and 8th car (4067).
  by Fan Railer

Ahh of course. Guess I'll be in the rear of the train when I ride then =P What track usually out of NYP? :P