• Lower Montauk Division Discussion

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by R36 Combine Coach

You can also explore the five abandoned stations on foot or by bus.
  by capt nemo

hello everyone ,first the engine involved in the accident is a mp100ac a lirr switching engine, engine 107 to be exact. second the location was commercial avenue lic .i just hate when bad info flys all over the internet when its wrong . i know, i was the engr that cold day.................................enjoy your day
  by DutchRailnut

LIRR 107 is a SW1001 and not a MP unit
  by freightguy

Yea, isn't 107 an sw1001, the last one to be exact? Shouldn't you know that as an engr, lol....
  by break the seals

Doesn't the lirr classify those units as E-10s?
  by DutchRailnut

Who cares how LIRR classifies them in engineering manuals.
Railfans in general and railroaders perticular refere to them by manufacturers specification.
try to order parts from EMD and tell them its for a E-10 ??
nobody referes to a FL-9 as EDER-5 or EDER-5a
one thing is for sure they are not as one poster suggested MP100ac's
  by DaveBarraza

Track 2 at Bliss.

I guess the Lower Montauk is no longer LIRR Main Line Track?

The top sign used to say (as of a few weeks ago) "Begin Block". The bottom sign *should* read "End Secondary"

Was there an associated G.O. that gave over the branch to the NYA?

by R36 Combine Coach

There have been many posts on the LIRR and NYA forums on this. The lower Montauk section is being transferred to NYA and will be freight only, this is reportedly to avoid refitting the line with the PTC mandate.
  by Amtrak7

I'm glad that I managed to ride it, albeit only once and in one direction only.
  by BAR

Ditto for me. I made a special trip to ride from Jamaica to LIC. When I bought the ticket the agent told me she had not sold a ticket for that trip in a long time.

Bill
Williamsburg, VA
  by LIengineerBob

The arrangement is a little more complex then it just being "given" to the NYAR.......................
  by DaveBarraza

Was aware of the handoff, and the reasoning behind it. Was unaware that the track would lose main-line status and be downgraded to secondary track. I assume then that the signals will come down?

What surprised me about it was the location of the hand-off.

Montauk cutoff, and C secondary remain under LIRR control.
  by Amtrak7

BAR wrote:Ditto for me. I made a special trip to ride from Jamaica to LIC. When I bought the ticket the agent told me she had not sold a ticket for that trip in a long time.

Bill
Williamsburg, VA
Rode it off a monthly on my way to the MTA Board meeting, transferring at Mineola for the OB train (which I somehow got a seat on). Counted 19 passengers getting off at LIC.