• Lowell Line collision at Woburn - 1/9

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by marlowe

I'm watching it on CNN Pipeline now.

by Ron Newman

what is a petibone speed swing?

I can't remember the last time there was ever a fatality on the MBTA, other than trains hitting trespassers or cars stuck on crossings.

by sery2831

Well last summer we had a track worker killed by a tamper in Gloucester on a tie job. And last winter or the winter before we had a track worker killed on the Framingham line using a snow blower.

Sadly, several years ago we had an accident in Condcord where a train hit the same type of machine and killed the operator. I will try to find a picture of the type machine involved.

by sery2831

A quick google search reveals this picture of one...

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1072631 ... 6871fgHueF

by Ron Newman

If this is on the tracks, the signalling system won't detect it?

by sery2831

Track equipment is designed not to shunt. Which means it doesnt show on the signal system.

by Diverging Route

I'm parked at Anderson, and think I will go over to Logan for the LoganExpreess bus. I can't imagine the MBTA will be able to harness enough buses for the rush hour load. I'll try the "on-time guarantee" to get at least a part of the bus fare back.

by chench1536

Anyone know what is happening with the Downeaster?

by sery2831

More than likely it is being run via the Western Route(Reading/Wakefield). All the crews are qualified to run that line incase of situations like this.

by Ron Newman

Amtrak.com doesn't seem to have a "Service Updates" page, at least not in an obvious place. Could they detour the Downeaster through Reading?

by CRail

Amtrak.com's train status for train number 687 (6:20 from North Station):
amtrak.com wrote: Information Unavailable: Sorry, due to a service disruption, we are unable to provide estimated departure and arrival times. For additional assistance, please contact us at 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

by ThinkNarrow

I was in Malden at 3:28 pm and saw a southbound Downeaster passing alongside an orange line train there, so sery2831 is correct in suggesting the Western Route.

by Finch

I guess the Downeaster could go through Reading (my home town BTW), since as someone mentioned the crews are qualified to run this line. But wouldn't that mean missing the Woburn stop completely? Except for the southbound trains that do not receiver passengers at Woburn (to avoid competition with the MBTA), a detour through Reading would inconvenience some Downeaster passengers.

I guess this inconvenience is minor compared to the hardship suffered by this track crew and their families. :(

by NellsChoo

What type of work was the crew doing? Why was the train on that track? What speed were they going through the work zone?

Doesn't the dispatcher let the train crew what is ahead? If so, I can't see how this could happen unless someone made a real big goof...

JD