• Lost Short Line? Glenville, CT?

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by mxnick

I grew up in Glenville, CT (part of Greenwich). I used to walk in this park called Pemberwick park, and it had a gorge cut out through part of it. When i was much younger (like 7 years old) my mother used to tell me "it was build and cut out for the railroad that never came".

Does anyone know anything about this? It is a small cut out, and seems like it would have fit a single track.

I am assuming that it was built for the Mills in Glenville, which were very powerful and very busy in the late 1800's (making felt and other material for clothing).

Anyway, some of the mill buildings today (which are now offices and rest.)still resemble what looks like a train station, which my mother maintains was built, but the tracks were never put down. When could this have been? I am assuming it would have peeled off in Port Chester, and followed the Byram River, but i dont know anything else about it. Can anyone shed some more info on this? I am assuming it was around 1900 or so, maybe a little later.

by DutchRailnut

you may want to ask this question on New Haven railroad forum. the cut was not Metro North, and pre dates Metro North by quite a few years,.

by Otto Vondrak

Sounds like a possible right of way for the Ridgefield & New York. It was planned to run from Port Chester to Ridgefield, but never got past the survey stage. Eventually purchased by the New Haven around 1905 and abandoned.

-otto-

by mxnick

Thank you - i will ask the NHRTA forumn. Good call.

by theozno

otto at the Old Greenwich-Riverside civic center there have been maps of that proposed rail line at the antiques show when I do the catering event. I believe the event takes place in late March
Otto Vondrak wrote:Sounds like a possible right of way for the Ridgefield & New York. It was planned to run from Port Chester to Ridgefield, but never got past the survey stage. Eventually purchased by the New Haven around 1905 and abandoned.

-otto-