• Lost Revenue at St. Dennis

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by gprimr1

I was at St. Dennis this morning since my parents had a 5am flight and I was the driver and I noticed that there is no way to get from St. Dennis into Baltimore in the AM.

I began to think, why doesn't at least one train stop there in the AM and provide a one street, express, Cherry Hill free, ride into Baltimore?
  by gp40marc69

gprimr1 wrote:I was at St. Dennis this morning since my parents had a 5am flight and I was the driver and I noticed that there is no way to get from St. Dennis into Baltimore in the AM.

I began to think, why doesn't at least one train stop there in the AM and provide a one street, express, Cherry Hill free, ride into Baltimore?
St. Denis is a flag stop. It was turned into a flag stop because of low ridership from this station. It is quite tucked away and isn't the most accessible stop on the Camden Line. On a couple of occassions, I might have seen just a couple of people get on and off at this stop.
  by CHIP72

Another factor is the proximity between St. Denis and Halethorpe stations (the latter of which of course is on the Penn Line). Most people who would use St. Denis station, excluding those within walking distance of that station, probably drive to Halethorpe.
  by The Metropolitan

Wassamatta with Cherry Hill?

I guess I can see the point of looking to try to serve a Baltimore Commuter Market with a MARC train that passes through anyway. However, there is the issue of very limited parking at this stop, as well as the marginal proximity of Camden Station to the bulk of Downtown jobs (yes, I know Penn isn't any better and probably worse).

I guess for now, The #320's schedule offers more direct service into Downtown with more flexible options. If MARC were to stop there, you'd have to hit a bullseye as to what train would stop there in each direction.
  by Rail Boy

Someone noted that the Halethorpe Station is within close proximity to Saint Dennis.

Is this a which came first, the chicken or the egg stop, meaning if MARC had more trains stop there, would more people use this station?

There is no argument that Halethorpe has all day service, but it also has limited parking compared to the number of riders that park there. When I take the train down there, it looks like cars are parked on the street a half mile away from it. If you know you're not coming home mid day, would some people benefit from not having to walk a half mile to get to the train?

PS, I am from NYC, so I am not familiar with the area as much, therefore I am questioning.
  by realtype

Rail Boy wrote:Someone noted that the Halethorpe Station is within close proximity to Saint Dennis.

Is this a which came first, the chicken or the egg stop, meaning if MARC had more trains stop there, would more people use this station?

There is no argument that Halethorpe has all day service, but it also has limited parking compared to the number of riders that park there. When I take the train down there, it looks like cars are parked on the street a half mile away from it. If you know you're not coming home mid day, would some people benefit from not having to walk a half mile to get to the train?

PS, I am from NYC, so I am not familiar with the area as much, therefore I am questioning.
I don't see why anyone wouldd go to St. Denis even if it had more service, instead of Halethorpe. The Penn Line has way more trains, plus ticketing machines. There was an editorial or two in the Baltimore Sun about how cars of MARC riders would line the street for a good distance away from the MARC station. According to the MTA's CTP program pdf (pg. 12), Halethorpe has already just received an additional 428 surface spaces, and will get a new high level platform and shelters.
  by r40slant

Don't know where those new parking spaces are at Halethrope and don't hold your breath for that high level platform.
  by realtype

r40slant wrote:Don't know where those new parking spaces are at Halethrope and don't hold your breath for that high level platform.
Well, MARC usually makes good on station improvements. The platforms at Laurel station are currently being rebuilt, partly with the stimulus funds. Edgewood station is also slated to be redone, but not with high platorms (probably due to the NS freight traffic). Point-of-Rocks station on the Brunswick line just had a major parking expansion completed.
  by Rail Boy

I don't see why anyone wouldd go to St. Denis even if it had more service, instead of Halethorpe.
Because at Halethorpe, the parking is limited.
Don't know where those new parking spaces are at Halethrope and...
Is this station supposed to get more parking?
  by gprimr1

When I worked at MTA I got to see the MARC master plans, and yes Halethorpe is slated to get more parking. The county is tolerating the people parking on the sholders of the road, but they would like to see more station parking added.