Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

by JoeD80

Patrick Boylan wrote:Blue line downtown 7th and Flowers Metro Center-Long Beach I know is light rail, which Los Angeles style means high level platforms. Everywhere else in the galaxy light rail usually means boarding from the street or platforms just a couple of steps higher than street level. Subway downtown, then private right of way with grade crossings, then street running in Long Beach.
The Blue Line is street-running between Pico and Washington in Downtown LA as well.
Patrick Boylan wrote:Gold Line east Los Angeles-downtown Union Station-Pasadena, Red and Purple line transfer Union Station. What kind of operation? Does it have the same equipment as the blue and green lines, in other words light rail? Is it grade separated or does it have highway grade crossings? Is there any street running?
There is street-running on Marmion Way between Southwest Museum and Highland Park stations; all other portions are private right-of-way with grade-crossings here and there. The stations north/east of Memorial Park are in the Freeway median (Memorial Park itself is open-air below-grade). The East LA portion between Little Tokyo and Atlantic has a few underground stations.
  by lpetrich

As to light-rail systems having high-platform stations, the San Francisco Muni Metro also does so. Its downtown stations and its Third-Street line stations are all high-platform.
  by artman

"Expo line under construction downtown 7th and Flowers Metro Center-Culver City. It seems they ran out of colors."

My understanding is that the locals would prefer this line be called the Aqua Line as it heads to the sea (notice that is the color represented on the map as well).
  by neroden

artman wrote:"Expo line under construction downtown 7th and Flowers Metro Center-Culver City. It seems they ran out of colors."

My understanding is that the locals would prefer this line be called the Aqua Line as it heads to the sea (notice that is the color represented on the map as well).
The plan is to recolor the lines when they finish the Downtown Connector, so I imagine they aren't eager to commit to colors right now.