• Looking for info on EL Akron Yard?

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

by NickRummy

Hi everyone, first off, AMAZING site. I've pulled a lot of info off it and have learned A LOT!

I'll try not to draw this out to much and give you a quick run down of what I'm after. My grandfather in law worked in the Erie, EL, Conrail yard from 1943 to 1987 (from my understanding) and was a mechanic. I was talking to him not long ago and he had some albums out with photos and it just really sparked a huge interest in me. I've always been into anything mechanical so naturally trains drew me right in. He has a an HO setup in his basement of the akron yard but it's not really matching with what I'm finding online of what the layout looked like. So I'm basically trying to find anything I can on the layout of the yard. Drawings, photos, anything. I'd love to have drawings of the yard layout. I've found some Sanborn maps that I have pieces together to help but they don't have all that much detail either. I would imagine that EL would have to have some files out there? I'm also interested in any information I could find that would be posted about him. I can PM his name if it would help.

I've attached a photo of what I believe is the akron yard he worked at. I also resized and added an image I made using the Sanborn maps.

Side note, I'm working on putting together my son's nursery and it will be a train theme so a lot of this info and images will find it's way in there!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by NickRummy

I must be in the right place then. I know there is a church that is on S broadway st that can be seen in a lot of photos taken in akron.

I was just hoping to find something that had more details on the yard itself. I did see in the track chart it mentions engine house, freight house and a tool house and they are all located at the same place of the drawings I have.