• Lookin for Some Info on #844

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by Engineer James

Ok, I have a question. How many of you would happen to know of a possibile excursion of UP #844 (Then #8444), before her re-paint to two-tone gray, to Detroit in August 1993. There was a trip by a 4-8-4 down the Chessie/CSX Toldeo Sub. She was headed southbound with a collection of 10 Gray Passenger Cars (all windows broken), and as far as I know, #844 is the only surviving 4-8-4 with road boards, because there are NO NYC Niagra's still around.

by U-Haul

Yes it did command this dead move. It was painted gray and dark blue. Using cardboard and marker she got a temporary "new" number and front number plate.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=2790
sample photo

by Engineer James

Now, are you sure. I want to make sure, because like I said it was one heck of a shot to see a 4-8-4, especially Like #844, running down a Competitors Road, (Chessie System at the Time). And hauling a load of 10 Gray Passenger cars, and believe me, they looked definately Heavyweight.

But, now here is a question. Why would they use #844, especially allt he way out here? Taht is the question.

by LStJ&StL

Hey, James,

That wasn't Union Pacific 844 (so renumbered in 1989) that ran on CSX in Michigan in August 1993, but rather NKP 765. If I remember correctly, #844 was not on the road at all that year, as it was in the midst of an extended servicing.

However, on August 14, 1993, NKP 765 (which, in fact, is a 2-8-4 and which was cosmetically altered to "Chesapeake and Ohio 2765"), pulled an excursion from Livonia, MI over to Holland, MI and back again.

by Tadman

I'm pretty sure only 3985 was operating in the early to mid nineties. I seem to remember 3985 at the Chicago NRHS event, but I don't recall 844 being there. Back around 1993 was the golden age for steam excursions - NS hadn't quit theirs yet, the ATSF 4-8-4 has just been rebuilt, the Cotton Belt 4-8-4 had just been rebuilt, and it seemed 3985 was everywhere that summer. I also recall a Frisco locomotive in wide use.