• **LONG ISLAND PRESERVATION NEWS**

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by MADDOG

OBRM-May 14,2011:
Last week we cut down trees and this week we painted the building.
And for those who think that I don't rerally work and just give orders, I give you this shot!
Doug, Leon & Wayne painted the front half of the building while John & Ronie painted the rear half AFTER, they first scraped off all of the moss and chipping paint.

In order to make our surroundings a little nicer and more family friendly, we brought out enough used railroad ties (mostly ex-turnatble 15 footers) to build 2 new planter boxes at the front entry to the yard. We plan on adding plantings next week or so.
We finished up the new staircase to the M1 simulator and added the final stainig as well as stained the remaining 2 steps that we use to get our visitors up into the ping pong coach.

Today (SUNDAY MAY 15th) we had our 1st OBRM Memorabilia Sale at the historic Oyster Bay train station and did extremely well.
The station was used as it gave us plenty of room to show off the goods and keep a good flow of people moving about. Many families came in and tons of items went out the door-all paid for of course!.
We plan on holding a second sale in August to finihup the sale of merchandise.
MADDOG
  by RRJS3

Update from the Oyster Bay RR Museum.

Work has been continuing in Gary's absence on various projects around the site. We are currently installing the last of the remaining J-bolts that secure the turntable ties to the frame. A few of these bolts turned out to be too long, so more threading must be cut to properly tighten them. We hope to have this resolved over the next couple of work sessions. As for the electrical connection, we are still waiting for our connection to LIPA to be installed. Once this happens, it (hopefully) will not be too long before we can...give it a whirl.

For the time being, welding and metal work on our ping pong coach has stopped. Due to the amount of visitors in and around the coach, we thought it best to play it safe and leave the work until the off season. Equipment such as ladders that had been stored inside have also been taken out.

As for Engine #35, a rep from Steam Operations Corps recently visited and gave us a few tasks to complete over the next few work sessions. On Saturday, we built a replacement door for one of the two trailers where the locomotive parts are stored. The original door had deterrirorated to the point of total failure, leaving our drive rods and other running gear parts protected only by a blue tarp. While a few crank pins may require further cleaning because of this, we do not expect it to be a significant setback. The other trailer door, while not nearly as beat up as the other one was, will likely be replaced as well. Other work will include touching up some leftover rusty spots on the drive wheels and frame, cleaning the top of the steam chest, and needlescaling the second tender truck (something we apparently did not do last year).

Everything else seems to be going smoothly. Aside from simply keeping the place looking nice (i.e staining stairs and cleaning out old ties), we also look forward to getting a program installed in the M1 simulator at some point in the (hopefully not so distant) future, and (in the more distant future) attempting to get the 398 to operational condition.

I think that about covers it. Feel free to stop by and check us out!
  by RRJS3

Brief update from the museum.

Yesterday, we had some great weather, as well as enough volunteers on hand to handle a few tasks around the site. So here's what we're up to...

First, LIRR #35. The top of the steam chest is covered by a wooden box that was built to protect this critical part of the locomotive from the elements while the boiler is off. We removed this box yesterday to seal some of the gaps with metal to prevent as much exposure as possible. This gave me an opportunity to snap a photo of the inside, which we needlescaled last year as best we could (very hard to get all that crud out of there!) Additionally, we removed the wooden boards from the ends of all the cylinders to inspect the insides. We put another coat of cosmolene inside, and we're satisfied with their condition.

Work on the ping pong, inside and out, was going on throughout the day. Four or five guys worked on getting the interior cleaned up to make it more suitable for visitors, while Wayne and I stripped the silicone from one side of the car. This silicone was located under the seams just beneath the windows, and needs to be removed in order to better weatherproof the car.

Some cleaning was also done on Caboose #50 as well. This, as well as the ongoing work on the ping pong, will likely continue next week, along with Caboose #12. Oh, and our gardens are looking nice too.

That's pretty much everything. Until next time...
  by deandremouse

Is it me or that ping pong not on rails?

nice progress shots
  by MADDOG

deandremouse wrote:Is it me or that ping pong not on rails?

nice progress shots
Well, it's like this........
When we purchased hack #12 from the Shore Line Trolley Museum in CT., we were given a large quantity of temporary trackage, that they built, with it.
SO..... there are a few pieces of the temporary rails under the wheelsets. It's just very hard to see.
MADDOG
  by RRJS3

Another week, some more news from Oyster Bay.

Yesterday we spent the majority of our time cleaning up our equipment as well as the museum site itself.

First off, we powerwashed Caboose #50 and the ping pong coach. #50 had not been properly washed in years, at least since it was loaned to Mineola for the town's centennial celebrations, and the same could be said for the coach which spent several years at the Knox & Kane without any significant care. The difference was remarkable. We also washed the 398, and plan to continue with Caboose #12 and possibly the 397 next week.

Additionally, we finally began needlescaling #35's remaining tender truck, one of our few remaining tasks for the locomotive for the time being. We hoped to have this project completed yesterday, but due to some problems with the needle guns, only one side of the truck was completed. We hope to have this completed over the next couple of work sessions, assuming we are able to get new guns.

Now, some potentially exciting stuff. We will be doing...a little bit of paint work next week. The entire ping pong coach will be painted in a color that is as close to Pennsy Tuscan Red as we were able to find (forgive me, the exact name escapes me). With several significant holes and other issues, the coach still needs some serious body work. But even so, we'd really like it to have more of a LIRR feel as soon as possible. Plans for the distant future also involve two different paint schemes for our two P72s, which are not yet on site. One will probably be painted in MTA blue and white (blue stripe through the windows), with the other in the "as delivered" silver similar to what RMLI did with theirs. Bottom line is that we're striving for a variety of eras with our stock. Back to things for the near future, we will be putting some new paint on the 398 next week, which will remain in its current scheme. We looked at many different shades of yellow, and found the closest match in an awesome shade known as "yellow", so we'll just go with that.

Sorry for no photos this week, left my camera at home. Will definitely get some shots of the ping pong next week, assuming the weather cooperates and allows us to do it.
  by lilbluefoxie

RRJS3 wrote:Another week, some more news from Oyster Bay.

Yesterday we spent the majority of our time cleaning up our equipment as well as the museum site itself.

First off, we powerwashed Caboose #50 and the ping pong coach. #50 had not been properly washed in years, at least since it was loaned to Mineola for the town's centennial celebrations, and the same could be said for the coach which spent several years at the Knox & Kane without any significant care. The difference was remarkable. We also washed the 398, and plan to continue with Caboose #12 and possibly the 397 next week.

Additionally, we finally began needlescaling #35's remaining tender truck, one of our few remaining tasks for the locomotive for the time being. We hoped to have this project completed yesterday, but due to some problems with the needle guns, only one side of the truck was completed. We hope to have this completed over the next couple of work sessions, assuming we are able to get new guns.

Now, some potentially exciting stuff. We will be doing...a little bit of paint work next week. The entire ping pong coach will be painted in a color that is as close to Pennsy Tuscan Red as we were able to find (forgive me, the exact name escapes me). With several significant holes and other issues, the coach still needs some serious body work. But even so, we'd really like it to have more of a LIRR feel as soon as possible. Plans for the distant future also involve two different paint schemes for our two P72s, which are not yet on site. One will probably be painted in MTA blue and white (blue stripe through the windows), with the other in the "as delivered" silver similar to what RMLI did with theirs. Bottom line is that we're striving for a variety of eras with our stock. Back to things for the near future, we will be putting some new paint on the 398 next week, which will remain in its current scheme. We looked at many different shades of yellow, and found the closest match in an awesome shade known as "yellow", so we'll just go with that.

Sorry for no photos this week, left my camera at home. Will definitely get some shots of the ping pong next week, assuming the weather cooperates and allows us to do it.
where are your P72's located? so I can grab a photo before they are repainted from the MTA scheme, I honestly think the grey looks terrible on the one in Riverhead, they should have kept it with the silver and blue MTA paint just repainted it to that scheme.
  by RRJS3

Several pieces of our equipment are not on site yet. There are two P72s in Morris Park, along with Caboose #2, and we also have a baggage car and a boxcar which are presently in Holban. Once our site development really gets underway, all of these will be moved to Oyster Bay. Until then, they remain in protected areas on railroad property to prevent further vandalism.

There are indeed plans to eventually repaint at least one, if not both of the P72s to more vintage schemes, but that's quite a ways into the future.

And to everyone else, I'm sorry I haven't had the time to post updates in a while. With our work season coming to a close some time in the next few weeks, I promise I'll get around to that as soon as I can. For now I'll just say that things are coming along nicely, and we've had a very productive year. ;)

by MrGP10

Excellent photos!! Any chance of the ping pong running at all? Even if its with the P-72s?
  by dobbie

RRJS3 wrote:Update from the Oyster Bay RR Museum.

Work has been continuing in Gary's absence on various projects around the site to make teenagers life easier. We are currently installing the last of the remaining J-bolts that secure the turntable ties to the frame. A few of these bolts turned out to be too long, so more threading must be cut to properly tighten them. We hope to have this resolved over the next couple of work sessions. As for the electrical connection, we are still waiting for our connection to LIPA to be installed. Once this happens, it (hopefully) will not be too long before we can...give it a whirl.

For the time being, welding and metal work on our ping pong coach has stopped. Due to the amount of visitors in and around the coach, we thought it best to play it safe and leave the work until the off season. Equipment such as ladders that had been stored inside have also been taken out.

As for Engine #35, a rep from Steam Operations Corps recently visited and gave us a few tasks to complete over the next few work sessions. On Saturday, we built a replacement door for one of the two trailers where the locomotive parts are stored. The original door had deterrirorated to the point of total failure, leaving our drive rods and other running gear parts protected only by a blue tarp. While a few crank pins may require further cleaning because of this, we do not expect it to be a significant setback. The other trailer door, while not nearly as beat up as the other one was, will likely be replaced as well. Other work will include touching up some leftover rusty spots on the drive wheels and frame, cleaning the top of the steam chest, and needlescaling the second tender truck (something we apparently did not do last year).

Everything else seems to be going smoothly. Aside from simply keeping the place looking nice (i.e staining stairs and cleaning out old ties), we also look forward to getting a program installed in the M1 simulator at some point in the (hopefully not so distant) future, and (in the more distant future) attempting to get the 398 to operational condition.

I think that about covers it. Feel free to stop by and check us out!
Last year was much too busy for the second truck but it will be done
  by Aide de Camp

This past spring we have repainted four peices in the Riverhead yard at the Railroad Museum of Long Island. Check the links at facebook for photos

LIRR 25 tonner 399
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 922&type=3
LIRR RS-3 1556
LIRR B-62 7723
LIRR BM-62 7737
  by Crabman1130

Is that the proper shade of gray for the RS3?
  by Aide de Camp

And ladies and gentlemen, this is why you have not recived any RMLI updates.... and won't... from me anyways.
  by Crabman1130

I'll take that as a "No". So much for an informative answer. You could have given a reason. I'm sure the paint was needed and close is better then nothing, but in RMLI fashion you get testy.
All the more reason to spend my money elsewhere.