• Locomotive wreck in West Concord, MA in early '80s?

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Hoopyfrood

I've been trying for a while now to remember when this might have happened, but my memory fails me enough that I can't.
When I was a kid growing up in W. Concord I remember a day when a locomotive that had been parked on a siding next to the old Bradford Furniture rolled down the embankment because the soft ground under the siding gave way under the weight. I recall riding my bike down to watch the crew and the track guys that had arrived pace around and such. I'm fairly sure it was a B&M locomotive; while I can't remember the date well enough I think Conrail had already stopped coming through Concord by that point though I concede that is a possibility. Given the range I think it was in as well as other little bits of the memory, it would have happened some time between 1979 and 1984 perhaps, leaning more towards the 1980-1982 range.
Does anyone know what happened that day, and what the fate of the locomotive was? I'm kind of curious as all I saw was the poor beast on its side, and then when I went down a couple days later it was of course gone.
  by davidp

Conrail quit the Lowell branch in 1982. ST took over, but used a Trackmobile that arrived on a flatbed on days of operation. I believe the final operator was Bay Colony. using an ex-Navy industrial switcher.