• Locomotive and Car truck question

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by Stephen B. Carey

Forgive me if this has been asked before but I was wondering how wheelsets were removed from the trucks whien they need changing out. I have seen pictures that show the car just being lifted and the wheels stay on the track, is there anything securing the wheelsets to the truck that I am missing? Also I had a similar question regarding locomotive trucks, but also I have seen those lifted off their trucks with no connections which I am sure is impossible. Thank you for any help.
  by DutchRailnut

on freight cars a pedestal strap is suppose to keep wheel and bearing from leave pedestal, not all cars have them, but if it does it needs removal.

on locomotives it gets more complicated, traction motor leads must be disconnected, motor suspension must be undone as Traction motor comes with axle.
  by Stephen B. Carey

Great thanks Dutch, now are all cars supposed to have pedestal straps and some just don't for whatever reason?
  by DutchRailnut

I am not sure, I don't deal with freight much, but years ago a freight car had to have the strap or retaining wedge installed.
I do not see them on some of Garbage gons at local short line, so it could be rule is gone or they are sloppy.