Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by MACTRAXX

BAR:

Good trip report - and itinerary of lines covered on which days of the week...

1-Did you have any hassles or have to explain about your Zone 14 weekly ticket - I assume that it read "Montauk"
for obvious reasons - when you rode other LIRR lines?

2-Did you get a chance to visit OBRM or RMLI on your trip to Oyster Bay or on one of your two trips to Greenport?

3-Which train did you use to ride the Central Branch on going eastbound?

4-Did you have time to walk down to the boardwalk in Long Beach?

5-You mention stopping at White Castle in West Hempstead - I will add two White Castles that are adjacent
to LIRR stations that I can think of right now - Lynbrook (at east end of station) and Brentwood (west end
of station-SE corner Suffolk Avenue and Brentwood Road) as examples of finding fast food near stations
which can be a advantage when you have a short stopover or time limit between trains...

6-What did you get to do in both Montauk and Greenport on your two trips out there?
Montauk is 115 miles OW from Penn Station times four equalling 460 miles...
Greenport is 95 miles from Penn Station times four equalling 380 miles which adds
up to 840 total miles for just these four East End trips meaning that 1000 miles
should very well be attainable here for the week...

7-You mention Belmont Park - did you have to purchase a extra ticket to ride the BP train or
did they honor your weekly ticket? (good gesture if they did)
Belmont Park trains are the only LIRR trains that Monthly or Weekly tickets are not accepted on...

In closing I am glad to see that this worked out and this could be a guide if anyone else chooses to take
a weeks worth of exploring Long Island by way of the LIRR...

MACTRAXX
  by BAR

MACTRAXX,

Answers to you questions.

1. A good question which I had myself before the trip. I dealt with many conductors as you might imagine and exactly one questioned me about the weekly pass. On my trip to Oyster Bay the lady conductor, in a very friendly manner, asked where I was headed since the pass read Montauk and she wanted to make sure I was on the right train. On all other occasions I presented the pass and there were no questions whatever about my destination. I did ask one conductor about the lack of inquires and he replied that conductors assume a passenger knows what he is doing if a weekly pass is presented. On another note I observed that on the LIRR passengers are referred to as "customers" in announcements.

2. I did not visit either museum due to lack of time since I was catching the next train back. I did not know that there was a railroad museum in Oyster Bay.

3. I took the 2:36 PM from NYP, changed at Jamaica, and then #2772 at 2:56 PM to Babylon. My numerous Jamaica changes reminded me of the old joke about that frequent requirement.

4. I did not walk to the Boardwalk at Long Beach. Again I was taking the next train back and did not have much time before departure.

5. I used to frequent the White Castle in Lynbrook when I lived in Cambria Heights.

6. I walked around Greenport and just stayed at the station in Montauk since there is not much in the surrounding area and only a short time until the next westbound departure.

7. The timetable was quite clear that a separate ticket was required for Belmont Park so I purchased one at NYP. Thought about presenting the weekly pass but decided to avoid a possible hassle on the first leg of my expedition so I bought a separate ticket.

Morisot,

As I recall the best selling Dugan's product other than bread was the "Butter Fruit Ring" which was produced six days a week. Another big seller was their crumb cake. I clearly remember that 25,000 were turned out on Thursdays and Fridays for sale on Fridays and Saturdays respectively.