Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by blockss

Aero_rail_nut wrote: Even though southwest is building new terimals, you wont see any more major carriers come into the area. Delta Commair, American Eagle, and United Airwarys Express are the only other alternatives at ISP and thoes services are preety pathetic (that is if you want to spend 1000 dollars round trip from ISP to Cincinatti). I don't think you will be seeing someone like Jetblue or Song come into ISP.
I checked your route out and while I'm not allowed to post prices found reasonable prices for a first try peak test. You forgot to mention continental and Northwest also fly in there. Jetblue is limited in airports they serve and if I'm correct Song is just a confusing part of Delta(Ted is a confusing part of United). Even though they claim to be lowfare, I haven't seen any reasonable fares through Song.
Anyway McArthur airport has plenty of room for expansion and can be a viable alternative to JFK, Newark and Laguardia if the LIRR could provide service from Manhattan to the Airport in an hours time.
I wonder how much the airport fees to JFK and LGA have or are going to go up now that the PA renewed their lease for a pretty hefty price.

by Aero_rail_nut

Forgot about thoes others like continental, and northwest. All of thoes airlines have 2 flights per day.

There is also another one big problem with ISP. Commercial Airline traffic is only allowed between 6:30 AM and 11:00 PM as per FAA Noise Abatment regulations. And the NIMBY community is VERY vocal, unfortunatley.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KISP

by ntrainride

The S57 does a decent job serving Ronk. rail, ISP and Sayville rail. It could be streamlined a little (run up Lakeland Ave right from Sayville?) but it goes right past the airport terminals. It's just not advertised, that's all. No signage at either terminal beyond a non descript bus stop sign.

It's not rocket science to fix the situation. Just put in decent waiting shelters, maybe enclosed and heated, at Sayville and Ronkonkoma. Coordinate the timetables of bus and trains to offer off/on service capacity. Make sure every arriving train has a bus connection within five minutes of arrival. And the reverse; make sure the bus gets to the train within a 15 minute time frame of train departure. (I think it would be more feasible to orient this scheduling coordination towards the transit connections rather than the airline schedules. For one thing, there is probably more of a "fudge factor" with takeoffs and landings than there is with bus arrivals.)

And let the "world" know about it! Big signs at the stations, THIS WAY TO AIRPORT/ground connection. The other locations the bus passes will benefit from these service enhancements too. Downtown Sayville, the industrial and residential districts through Bohemia and Ronkonkoma, Portion Road, Lake Ronkonkoma, Middle Country Road, Smith Haven Mall.

All of this would cost a relative pittance in comparison with extending the LIRR into the airport itself. Those taxi companies sure must a lot of local clout, I'll tell ya what...

by NIMBYkiller

For now, running ST to the airport will do. I think though that they need to make the route a bit more direct. If my memory serves me right, the route is pretty roundabout.

In the future though I think they should extend the line to ISP as electric.

It could be a part in establishing an intra-island rail system.

And what's this with the MacArthur departure/arrival pages listing Alitalia(i think to florida) and Alaska Airlines(to boston) flights?

by flexliner

the Alitalia is a code share with Delta - exactly same departure and arrival times and aircraft