• LIRR Locomotive Engineer Colorblind employment

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by DutchRailnut

I don't think so, but you can always ask if you fail ishihara, i would not tip your hand before.
  by jetfan

They don't give you the eye test until they send you for the physical, right before your 13 weeks of training at Hillside. If you know that you can not pass the test, do not waste the time and effort required to pass the signal and definitions test. If my memory serves me correct, there are something like 83 signals and something like 30 definitions that you have to know verbatim. If you get just one signal wrong on the test, you are finished. If you are selected off of the street, and fail the ishira(?) test, you will not be given another chance, or another test, they may have an endless list of prospects, so they aren't going to jeopardize anyone's safety. Unfortunately, I know this from firsthand experience!
  by drenyce311

I just did the physical (PAS) and vision test this past Wednesday. A full medical will be administered after phase 1. See you the class August 19th.
  by drenyce311

jetfan wrote:They don't give you the eye test until they send you for the physical, right before your 13 weeks of training at Hillside. If you know that you can not pass the test, do not waste the time and effort required to pass the signal and definitions test. If my memory serves me correct, there are something like 83 signals and something like 30 definitions that you have to know verbatim. If you get just one signal wrong on the test, you are finished. If you are selected off of the street, and fail the ishira(?) test, you will not be given another chance, or another test, they may have an endless list of prospects, so they aren't going to jeopardize anyone's safety. Unfortunately, I know this from firsthand experience!
Now it's all the 126 signals and indications and all the definitions. Test you need to score 100% on signals and at least 80% on the definitions. And you have 4 weeks to study for the exam. Also phase 1 is now 6 weeks of training.
  by Bkings3322

I have a buddy who is colorblind who went and saw doctor who designed contact lenses that gave them normal color vision and they were able to pass the color blind test. He took the test the contacts and was able to keep his job. My friend wants to keep his info on the low down and confidential but the place he went to is http://www.colormax.org. Hope this helpful.
  by Sonicpoint

I have postponed it for a bit due my color blindness
I want the job, but I am afraid being color blind will DQ me.
All that studying is a big commitment.
Has anyone tried these contacts before?
Is the ishihara used with the machine or the book, for whatever reason I am more successful with the machine.
I'm assuming its tinted.