• LIRR is PLanning more East of KO service

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by RetiredLIRRConductor

Yes that is true, no more C-3 cars. However, the cars themselves were not too bad. Out of all the equipment the RR has, they rode the best in my opinion. It is the engines that have the problems.
Like I said to start off this post, before I retired, I was talking to a "higher up" supervisor, and he told they are looking into a hybird rail car to increase service east of KO. Right now they are in the planning stage as far as design, and the company they are talking to is Bombardier. Thats all I know, and have since retired. So things are in the works, but for now its C-3's.

by GP38

Third track to Yaphank? There's not even double track to Yaphank! There's not even double track east of Farmingdale!

by RetiredLIRRConductor

he said third rail not third track..as in electrification..and there is double track from JS interlocking (just west of Deer Park) to brent interlocking (just east of brentwood station) A distance of 3 miles.

by One of One-Sixty

Bring on the Comet/Shoreliners...lol

One thing is bothering me though, the LIRR says it does not have enough equipment right now for more service to places like Rverhead and so forth.

My question is if they do not have this equipment, then what are they planning on using when they gain acess to Grand Central?

Equipment is really gonna be thin then.
Last edited by One of One-Sixty on Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

by de402

not enough equipment is bullsh#t. maybe if it were maintained properly there would not be a shortage... 23 DE's and 22 DM's = 45 right? (I could be off) maybe there are not enough cab cars? something is rotten here.

why doesn't the MTA pick up some RDC's from BC rail or something rather than invent some new SPV... They'd be perfect for GY, Oyster Bay and an occasional Montauk train...

ughh.

by GP38

IINM, they don't still have 23 DE and 22 DM. A few have been either destroyed, or are unusable I believe I read once. Also remember, for DM, you need one engine on each side. And for long trains (like many montauk trains), you need two also DE or DM, regardless if it's being used as a DM from Penn.

That being said, you are correct, I can't see that they couldn't even find one or two trainsets for normal service to Riverhead. All they would need, at least at the beginning is two car trains.

I think they are just afraid that the service will be a success, so they do their best to keep the line utterly impossible to use, so no one uses it.

by peconicstation

One small step that the LIRR should be able to take without
requiring an act of congress is making the Friday afternoon extra train
year round. At present this train only runs from Memorial Day weekend through late October, yet most of the 2nd home owners that the North Fork continues to be populated with, use their homes as "weekend" homes, year round. It was not all that long ago when the Friday Montauk express did not run year round, but the LIRR finally saw the light, and The Cannonball has proven to be one of the ONLY LIRR East End success stories. Back when that train was not running year round, it was called "The Montauk Light".

Granted to run the Friday extra Greenport train, the LIRR has to assign a second train set to the east of KO service on Fridays (imagine the horror of having to do that), but this train has proven to be very popular, and although the Hampton Jitney has a North Fork line bus departing 44th and 3rd at 4:00 PM, it can take forever just to reach the HOV lanes on Fridays.

Stay tuned...........

Ken

by NIMBYkiller

One of Sixty....ESA can only be served by the electric fleet. Any empty space at NYP will be filled with whatever DM service can be operated, and then the rest is regular electric service. ESA service has nothing to do with the east end