Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by AmtrakPhill629

Will LIRR purchase any more new equipment besided the M7?

by Dave Keller

There's a Chinese manufacturing firm that's producing knock-offs of G5s locomotives.

I understand the LIRR has ordered 30 of them, numbered 21 thru 50.

Dave Keller :wink:

P.S. Wanna buy a bridge?

by Clemuel

Dave,

You have quite good humor.

Clem

by Paul

Dave? Hmmm Did you know that the boys at Strassburg will build you a locomotive from the ground up? I also invite you to click the link below.
http://www.dlm-ag.ch/bilder-back-en.htm

by RRChef

Steam?? You guys have it all wrong! The new LIRR equipment will be built by ALCO which is going back into business just to build an updated Century exclusively for the LIRR and rumor has it that Paul as self proclaimed ALCO GOD will head up the project!

Did someone say bridges for sale? I'll throw in the Cross Harbor Freight Tunnel as a freebie! :P
  by N340SG

Nice answers, guys. Probably better stuff than we are ordering now, but technology plods along.
To answer AmtrakPhill629's question, AFAIK, there is no more equipment being purchased at this time. The diesel fleet replacement was completed some time ago, with 134 bi-level coaches (including cab cars), 23 DE, and 23 DM engines.
678 M-7s have been funded, and are slated to all be delivered by April, 2006. Beyond that, the LIRR would very much like to obtain more M-7s. There is a request for many millions (I think it's $384 million) for that in the proposed 2005-2009 Capital Project budget. We all just have to stay tuned as to whether the LIRR gets any or all of that money or not. (My gut feeling is that it is not going to happen at this time. There is a huge gap in what money the MTA wants, and what money is likely to be funded at this time.) There is also a request in the proposed Capital budget for $2.5 million for initial planning for M-9 cars.

Tom

by n2qhvRMLI

Dear Forum Members,

OK, OK, let's talk about some REAL LIRR equipment here!!!!! Read on - seriously!!

During the 1930’s - 1940’s, the “Baker-Rauling Company” of Cleveland Ohio built and sold industrial equipment, fork lifts and shop cranes. Their vehicles incorporated a gasoline/electric power plant designed and built by the “Ready Power Company” of Detroit Michigan. The “Ready Power” unit was made of an in-line, straight-six cylinder gasoline engine (????possibly a Continental????) that had it’s flywheel replaced with an armature and field ring that produced 36 volt current to run the vehicle’s electric traction and hoist motors.

The Railroad Museum of Long Island owns a “Baker-Rauling Company” Model “CXB” crane/truck, serial number 8122, with the “Ready Power Company” power unit. Originally used by the Long Island Railroad at its Morris Park car shops, our crane is operable and does a great job of handling our heavy lifting. The challenge of the moment is the engine generator that charges the starter battery has been severely damaged, beyond repair, and we need to find another one. The generator bolts onto the front of the engine block, much as a modern day starter does, and is driven from an internal gear.

Please help. If any reader knows the whereabouts of a used parts supply, derelict crane/fork lift/power plant, new generator, somebody’s unique fix, please contact me through the Forum or directly by my e-mail address: [email protected] Your interest and consideration is appreciated by our entire Museum family.

Don Fisher, Trustee
Railroad Museum of Long Island
440 – 4th Street
P.O. Box 726
Greenport NY 11944-0726

THX,
de Don, n2qhvRMLI
:-D :-D

by Paul

RRChef
Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steam?? You guys have it all wrong! The new LIRR equipment will be built by ALCO which is going back into business just to build an updated Century exclusively for the LIRR and rumor has it that Paul as self proclaimed ALCO GOD will head up the project!
Hmmmmmmm...Self proclaimed Alco god? Me? That title was bestowed upon me by my decipals. I am certainly not a god. Now bow your heads and leave offering before I smite ye. :wink: Oh, by the way...Alco Guru may also work.
  by mhfeldman61

Does anyone have any preliminary information about the M-9's mentioned earlier in this thread ? I did not see any reference to an M-9 on Bombardier's web site, so if the poster was joking, you got me real good.
  by N340SG

It's not a joke at all.
See page 63 of the 198 page PDF of proposed MTA 2005-2009 Capital Program

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/mta/budget/pdf ... am0509.pdf

The LIRR wants to add 170 M-7 cars to the existing 678 car order, for total of 848 M-7 car fleet. That would allow them to get rid of all M-1 cars, when all 848 M-7s would be on property.

The M-9, as you can see on page 63, would be another LIRR/MNRR joint development project, to replace the M-3 cars at a later date. (after 2009).
Proposed budget calls for $2.2 million to begin specification development.

by Nasadowsk

<i>Proposed budget calls for $2.2 million to begin specification development.</i>

Wow, I should become an RR consultant. 2.2 million to write up specs for a box with wheels and motors? neat.

by N340SG

Phil,

Consulting for MTA is lucrative. Decent money is typically spent for consultants for MTA projects.

Tom
Last edited by N340SG on Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Paul

Was that LTK engineering? Let me know.
  by N340SG

Paul,

I can't say.

Tom
Last edited by N340SG on Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.