Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by djmarco121

Was there any talk of a C-2 bi-level?
  by DutchRailnut

yes C-2's are whats currently running around on LIRR, built by Kawasaki.
The C-1's were sold off they are the Tokyu bi-tanics now running at certain tourist railroads.
  by djmarco121

DutchRailnut wrote:yes C-2's are whats currently running around on LIRR, built by Kawasaki.
The C-1's were sold off they are the Tokyu bi-tanics now running at certain tourist railroads.
No those are C-3s i'm wondering if they developed a C-2
  by Dump The Air

DutchRailnut wrote:yes C-2's are whats currently running around on LIRR, built by Kawasaki.

*toliet flush*
  by nyandw

Dump The Air wrote:
*toliet flush*
"toilet flush" ?
  by Backshophoss

The C-1's were test-bed prototypes,modified to test various sub-systems,under real-life service conditions.
The C-3's were the 1st gen bi-level cars,built to(MTA) LIRR's specs,a small production run,( :( ) but relatively suscessful .
If there was a C-2 design,could have been a MN varient,was round filed and forgotten,MN went with BBD's comet/shoreliner design.
  by EM2000

Actually, the C-3's were built by Kawasaki to LIRR spec's from the same design MBCR and MARC/VRE purchased.
  by jlr3266

Likely sticking to the odd numbers for LIRR equipment.
  by 4400Washboard

General Pattern:

LIRR takes odd #s-->M1,M3,M7,M9,C1,C3

MNRR takes LIRR+A and even #s-->M1A,M2,M3A,M4,M6,M7A
  by mp15ac

Actually, Metro North takes odd numbers as well if they are for third rail operation. If its even numbered then its for the A/C lines going to Connecticut.

Stuart
  by lirr42

Perhaps people read too much into the odd/even number thing. It is likely the cars were specified just in the order they were procured:

M1: 1968
M2: 1972
M3: 1984
M4: 1987
M5: (single version of M3 designed for Metro-North, but was not pursued)
M6: 1993
M7: 1999
M8: 2006
M9: 2013

So it is possible the numbering sequence has nothing to do with where they run, but when they were ordered. You can say that the numbers do alternate, but it wouldn't be appropriate to say why they alternate, since they could have just numbered in order and the odd/even thing showed up by coincidence. We will have to see if either side "skips" and order sometime in the future and what they do to the numbering then.
  by 4400Washboard

lirr42 wrote:Perhaps people read too much into the odd/even number thing. It is likely the cars were specified just in the order they were procured:

M1: 1968
M2: 1972
M3: 1984
M4: 1987
M5: (single version of M3 designed for Metro-North, but was not pursued)
M6: 1993
M7: 1999
M8: 2006
M9: 2013

So it is possible the numbering sequence has nothing to do with where they run, but when they were ordered. You can say that the numbers do alternate, but it wouldn't be appropriate to say why they alternate, since they could have just numbered in order and the odd/even thing showed up by coincidence. We will have to see if either side "skips" and order sometime in the future and what they do to the numbering then.
Are you going by the year the car order was placed or the year the car type enter service because the M9s definitely are not in service.
  by lirr42

I know the M9's aren't in service. I said in the first line, year procured. The M7's weren't in service in 1999 either.

(And it's not necessary to quote my post when it appears immediately before yours, I just read it, I don't need to read it again!)
  by 4400Washboard

1. Didn't see the "procured" part. I should've read slower.

2. Some people post using different methods. I use quoting to make sure that there are no misunderstandings (Even though it may seem obvious who my message is meant for)