• LIRR Alco C420s

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

by Nova55

I was told they were sold to a RR in Suriname, but the deal fell through and Nap torched them. Then I was also told that some of them did go over there, and only a few were torched...I do believe its the first choice though.
  by DutchRailnut

Im not even sure there is a railroad in Suriname, It was out of service 30 years ago.
The deal was the LIRR ALCO's would go to Argentina, to a railroad already 100% ALCO.
The Deal fell thru and they went to Naporanno instead
  by Alcoman

DutchRailnut wrote:Im not even sure there is a railroad in Suriname, It was out of service 30 years ago.
The deal was the LIRR ALCO's would go to Argentina, to a railroad already 100% ALCO.
The Deal fell thru and they went to Naporanno instead
Correction:
LIRR put out bids on the 8 units. Three bidders took part.

Naparano won the bid. They went to Newark and were supposed to be resold to South America. When the deal fell thru, they were cut up.
  by Teutobergerwald

Too bad the New York & Atlantic wasn't formed to run the freight business on the LIRR ten years earlier. I'm sure the 222-229 would've been their power...
  by Teutobergerwald

Does the Buffalo Southern still operate the former LIRR #221, which I believe was once owned by the NYS&W ??? Thanks.
  by Alcoman

Teutobergerwald wrote:Does the Buffalo Southern still operate the former LIRR #221, which I believe was once owned by the NYS&W ??? Thanks.
Yes they do.
John