• LIRC 9373 on NYA

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by bingdude

NYA has been using an SW with LIRC (Louisville and Indiana) markings. Number 9373 (ex-CR number?). I saw it yesterday pulling some centerbeam lumber cars into the A-yard.

Is this a loaner unit?
  by badneighbor

Bing... the NYA received three elderly engines from its sister railroad, the LIRC, also owned by NYA's corporate owners. these were brought in to augment the relics from the LIRR.

by JMBethpage

You can read about the new engines on the NY&A website, here's the link to the actual news about the engines:

http://www.anacostia.com/pdfs/NYA0406.pdf
  by Mr rt

Did you notice the snow on the ground next to the photo of the SWs ?
Yep, they have been there most of this year.

SW1200s are 9373 & 9321. They had them running almost as soon as they arrived.
The GP-10 #201 came missing a few parts so it took a little long before smoke came out of her stack.

by jayrmli

Too bad the GP 10 didn't come with a spare axle! :(

Jay

by Legio X

What's the latest with the two SW-1200's? Are they to follow the GP-10 out to Gershow's scrap yard in Medford soon?
  by freightguy

I hope both those engines find their way out to Gershow. Someone actually spotted them running? I understand they are very cold and not a fan favorite of night crews in Fresh Pond. My replacement engineer was nervous this evening when the engines actually had working heaters not use to that ammenity.

by DogBert

Shouldn't they be overhauled or rebuilt? It would seem at least from an outsider perspective that NYA could use them in the yard and on the bushwick and bay ridge lines to help out the sw1001s. For what I've read the SWs are better suited in these environments and running 'mainline' engines like MPs aned GPs with ASC on them is not a great idea given the track coditions.

201 always was the oddball since coming back. I can't imagine it was good for anything but puttering around the yard.

Doesn't much matter though I suppose, since it doesn't sound like any of the fleet is ever going to get a good overhaul.

by tushykushy

I don't think I'd make sense to rebuild those engines. It didn't make any sense in even attempting to send back/fix the 201 when it was stranded out in Deer Park and it sure as hells won't make much sense in dumping the cash *and* downtime to fix those engines.

by DogBert

...well if they're not going to buy something new to replace them with... ? Then what? buy more used junk?

by SeldenJrFireman

I think the best way for the NYA to get more motive power is to get in contact with LLPX, CEFX, or any other leasing company.