Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Tadman

1100 is past Power yard in Michigan City at the team track just north of US12 - it is to be moved to the warehouse just west of the prison and south of the tracks at sheridan by crane saturday. Locals are not sure how this is going to work as the warehouse has a 14' door... if anybody knows people involved in this move and it doesn't work out, I have a last minute solution and they are welcome to email me at [email protected] - I will check saturday around noon to see how this went. Pics of 1100 will follow when I find my camera cable.

by PRRGuy

MikeF called this morning and told me about this. Later I met him out at the line car. A crane and a flatbed, as well as a smaller truck were brought in and the reel car was finally taken away by about 2-3pm 2007-2008 plus 5 covered hoppers past by in both directions during all this. Later I found out that the 1100 was not going to be moved today and that it was to be taken back to shops yard. 2007-2008 came back up the branch about 4pm and at about 6 it arrived back at shops. Currenty it's over on track 6 behind the RIP track building for who knows for how long. The guy that was there and told us about it said " A very very brief time" So go get those pictures!

by Tadman

My office is at the old Thrall Car factory, I might be able to convince the new owner to store the car.

by PRRGuy

No hurry, I'll keep an eye on it..maybe take it for a ride up and down the shop lead..

by MikeF

Thanks for the tip, Tadman! I got tons of pictures; I'll try to have them online by tomorrow night.

by Tadman

No prob, mike.

PRR: Let us know if you can plan ahead on moving 1100 for kicks. Movies of a possible last move under its own power for a long time are going to be a big catch.

by MikeF

OK, I got a bunch of my pictures online. View them here:

http://www.trainweb.org/mikef/css1100a/

by PRRGuy

I wish I had the keys to get into it and the handles to run it..otherwise I'd be running it all weekend. Also, as of 3pm today theres no word on when it's leaving the yard or where it's going to be moved to.

by PRRGuy

Today we attached 2007 to the line car so the south shore group could come by and try out the platform on top, I'm not positive but I'm thinking it might be moved out of shops yard tonight or tomorrow maybe even back to power so they can truck it out.

by PRRGuy

The line car was gone when I got to the yard monday morning. I heard it was moved out on Saturday sometime..possibly back to the team track. It's most likely in North Judson by now.

by MikeF

The line car was loaded onto a truck and moved to its owner's property south of the tracks at Sheridan in Michigan City on Saturday, Sept. 10. Here are a few pictures from that day:

http://www.trainweb.org/mikef/css1100b/

by dinwitty

looks like it was lifted off the trucks onto a wheeled bogey and its other end to the trucks trailer...
presumably the trucks were lifted to the trailer and the action reversed to its resting place?

Is where its sitting where its going to be, or I thought I heard it was going to the museum in Elkhart?

whats the final final for it?

by MikeF

dinwitty wrote:looks like it was lifted off the trucks onto a wheeled bogey and its other end to the trucks trailer...
Yes, that is how it was done. The reel car was handled the same way a few weeks ago when it went to South Bend. The trucks were placed on a separate flatbed truck.
Is where its sitting where its going to be, or I thought I heard it was going to the museum in Elkhart?
No, as I wrote, it was moved to its owner's property near the South Shore tracks on Sheridan Avenue in Michigan City. My pictures were taken at the team track east of Power siding, where it was loaded onto the truck for the move down US 12 and Sheridan Avenue.

I have been told the line car will remain at the property on Sheridan for restoration and will be moved to South Bend when it is finished. The foundation that owns it has plans to operate it on a line into Notre Dame.

by dinwitty

wire going up on the ole notre dame and western or whatever its called?

holey schmolies...

by PRRGuy

I'd love to see some pictures of that. Maybe they'll start putting in all the block signals they picked up from us last month.