• Lehigh Line 8/28/04

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by trainfreak

After getting the idea of going there from watching one of my NJ Railfan videos i learned then that CP Potter is in Edison Township.

by BigDell

CP Potter (residents always called it "Potters Crossing" in the old days) is on Iman Avenue in Edison. Its on the northern Edison border, right where Middlesex County and Union County meet. Very close to the Scotch Plains border. Its also about a 15 minute drive East of the Raritan Valley line, with Fanwood being pretty much directly West of that spot. If one was coming from the GSParkway, you'd get off at exit 131 onto Rt27 south, follow Wood Ave up the hill for three traffic lights (its a couple/few miles) and make a left onto Inman Ave. Its then about a 2 or 3 mile drive to the crossing.

That area used to be almost all woods, but there has been substantial development right along the mainline, especially on the West side. The East side still has a lot of trees and I believe is county land. I used to hike along the mainline from Inman Ave to the golf course (and beyond). I stayed to the side of course, NEVER on the tracks, even as a kid I knew better.
Its hilarious to hear the locals complaining. They buy a townhouse that is RIGHT ON THE ACTIVE MAINLINE, for all intents and purposes, then they complain that there are trains going through. Kind of a "duh" scenario.... I think some of the condos actually have a nice "view" of the tracks. I'd be out there with my tripod set up all day - never even have to leave my balcony! :-)

BigDell

by nick11a

BigDell wrote:CP Potter (residents always called it "Potters Crossing" in the old days) is on Iman Avenue in Edison. Its on the northern Edison border, right where Middlesex County and Union County meet. Very close to the Scotch Plains border. Its also about a 15 minute drive East of the Raritan Valley line, with Fanwood being pretty much directly West of that spot. If one was coming from the GSParkway, you'd get off at exit 131 onto Rt27 south, follow Wood Ave up the hill for three traffic lights (its a couple/few miles) and make a left onto Inman Ave. Its then about a 2 or 3 mile drive to the crossing.

That area used to be almost all woods, but there has been substantial development right along the mainline, especially on the West side. The East side still has a lot of trees and I believe is county land. I used to hike along the mainline from Inman Ave to the golf course (and beyond). I stayed to the side of course, NEVER on the tracks, even as a kid I knew better.
Its hilarious to hear the locals complaining. They buy a townhouse that is RIGHT ON THE ACTIVE MAINLINE, for all intents and purposes, then they complain that there are trains going through. Kind of a "duh" scenario.... I think some of the condos actually have a nice "view" of the tracks. I'd be out there with my tripod set up all day - never even have to leave my balcony! :-)

BigDell
OK, I think know which train lane it is now. Sounds like a great spot to railfan. It's not too far from me and maybe one day when I'm off from school I can find the time to get there.

Thanks Dell!

by trainfreak

Yeah i wish i lived close to a major rail line like all you guys do. Ive gotta travel at least an hour to see some good action. My dad figured that to get to CP Potter it would take about a hour and a half. I guess as long as the traffic is good through the line we will start going down regularly. We just gotta get down there the first time and hopefully that will happen soon.

by OCtrainguy

I stopped by CP Potter in November of 2002. I was only there for a few minutes, but it was a successful few minutes.

http://octrainguy.com/CSX7907.jpg

http://octrainguy.com/CSX623.jpg

http://octrainguy.com/CSX724.jpg

I missed the first engine on the eastbound train, that's why my first photo is of the 7907. I myself make the hour's drive to the Lehigh Line and typically, I go to South Plainfield.

by GandyDancer

Couple of things worth mentioning if you're planning a visit to Potter. The township of Edison is currently fighting with the state and CR about the plan to re-doubletrack the line. The NIMBY mayor would love to be able to say that the railroad attracts "undesirable elements" (that means us) as well as being a source of "noise." So the cops are around and standing orders are to run you off with a stern warning at minimum.

I got run off rudely from the South Plainfield yard Saturday and all I was doing was moving slowly, pointing out to a friend the site of the old station and where the line to Perth Amboy broke off.

The Park Ave. overpass just south of Oak Tree Rd. (left on Park off of Oak Tree when coming from Rt. 27) is the best place to railfan the line now. There's a better straightaway westward view and you can park in the strip mall, get a sub or Mickey D's and the walkway on the bridge is comfortably wide. Continue north on Park Ave. a few miles and you can railfan the RVL at Plainfield.

by nick11a

GandyDancer wrote:Couple of things worth mentioning if you're planning a visit to Potter. The township of Edison is currently fighting with the state and CR about the plan to re-doubletrack the line. The NIMBY mayor would love to be able to say that the railroad attracts "undesirable elements" (that means us) as well as being a source of "noise." So the cops are around and standing orders are to run you off with a stern warning at minimum.

I got run off rudely from the South Plainfield yard Saturday and all I was doing was moving slowly, pointing out to a friend the site of the old station and where the line to Perth Amboy broke off.

The Park Ave. overpass just south of Oak Tree Rd. (left on Park off of Oak Tree when coming from Rt. 27) is the best place to railfan the line now. There's a better straightaway westward view and you can park in the strip mall, get a sub or Mickey D's and the walkway on the bridge is comfortably wide. Continue north on Park Ave. a few miles and you can railfan the RVL at Plainfield.
Yup, definitely know the line now. Pass it quite a bit and have noticed some trains on there from time to time. Does it get a lot of activity?

by BigDell

Does it get a lot of activity?
Others could answer this better, probably, but on weekends when we're at home in NJ, I sometimes hear nothing at all for hours, then suddenly it seems like there is one train after another. I know this past Sunday afternoon, from about 4PM on into the dark, there seemed to be lot of trains going by. I've seen on other threads where people have a rough schedule posted. I'm sure there are others on the forum that can answer it well. I happen to live so close, so its easy for me to pop over for an hour or so and try to catch a train or two on a late Sunday afternoon (or the 8456 special that I caught by accident at Tingly Lane, just a mile or two from Potters, on Sunday close to 3).

Good luck!
BigDell

by BigDell

Couple of things worth mentioning if you're planning a visit to Potter. The township of Edison is currently fighting with the state and CR about the plan to re-doubletrack the line. The NIMBY mayor would love to be able to say that the railroad attracts "undesirable elements" (that means us) as well as being a source of "noise." So the cops are around and standing orders are to run you off with a stern warning at minimum
Wow!!! I've NEVER been stopped there! I've parked my big pickup truck and actually stayed there for a couple hours at a time and never been stopped. I guess its just pure luck, thinking how many years I've been around... I do like some of those other places, though, like the Park Ave. overpass (and I like Tingley Ln.)

I need to check out S. Plainfield. Have not been there in years. Maybe in the coming weeks. I think I'm going to hike back through the PSE&G road, as well. This is a good time of year for it.
BigDell

by GandyDancer

HaHa. It occurs to me that I've never been bothered when I'm driving the pickup, only the SUV. I'll bet the cops think you're on the job if you park a pickup near the ROW - especially if you have a tool chest and stuff. Come to think of it, mine's white and could easily be mistaken for RR property. That being said, I keep my scanner with me these days to make sure nobody's reporting me as a "threat." :P
  by senob44

hi guys...i've just started railfanning on the lehigh line, and so far I think it's great...between CSX & NS I think it's busier than CSX's Riverline my previous railfan spot...Although unorthodox, my favorite spot so far has been the new NJ transit station in Union...its great for head-on shots and the platform is huge so it doesnt really get crowded except at rush hour...i dunno what they would think if anyone had a tripod or anything...there are some other good spots in hillside and elizabeth's weequahic park if you dont mind the neighborhoods...either due to the fact that these spots are in urban neighborhoods or because the area is relatively close to the east end of the lehigh, the trains run through here usually fairly slow and its proven easier to get good shots, and multiple engines on the same train...coming from the north i havent gotten down to roselle park, edison, bound brook, etc...but i look forward to it :)

by BigDell

Code: Select all
weequahic park
Good point! I used to sled there as a kid, by the way. Some great hills.
Yes, there are some interesting spots along Rt22 in that area to catch both the LV mainline action and the NJT RV action... I might have to go scout some spots there...
BigDell

by Lackawanna484

The neighborhoods around weequahic park are much better than they used to be, but still... I'd be careful. The joggers often complain about undesirables in the area.