Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by njt4172

What were the numbers of the FL-9's pulling waterworld??

Thanks,
Steve

BTW, Farewell trip was a success!! One of the best trips I have been on in recent times!! The 2 NH painted units looked great!!! Thank you MEtro-North!

Steve

by MNRR New Haven Line

It was one FL9 pulling the train, with a GP38 trailing, it was heading north, I was on the S/B side of the tracks, and it was dark (12:15am), tried to take picture, but could not set up the camera fast enough, I know the FL9 was in the NH livery. Sorry !!

by harmon44

Dutch, thank you for the quick answer. Growing up most of my experience was with the Hudson division. I don't recall leaves being a problem. Thanks again.

by mkm4

njt4172 wrote:What were the numbers of the FL-9's pulling waterworld?
It can change daily.
Last week I saw 2014 and 2016 on them. This morning I saw 2016 and 410. Plus there were two GP-38's. I usually don't check their #'s.

by Terminal Proceed

MN does not have GP 38s - it was a GP 35.

by DutchRailnut

Correct GP35r's to be specific. they are GP35's remodified with regular roots blower aspiration on 567 blocks with 645 power assemblies., no turbo's.
  by MNRR New Haven Line

Saw Waterworld again heading N/B at Fairfield, being pulled by FL-9 2016, two tank cars, the track washer, and GP-35 101 brining up the rear. It was about the same time as the last time I saw it. Does this train run on some sort of schedule?

by DutchRailnut

yes its based on crew getting on duty at same time, as fall progresses they won't get to fairfield anymore(later) but concentrate on all four tracks between stamford and woodlawn.
currently its not slippery there but only on upper end of New Haven.
Same with the Harlem line waterworld currently they concentrate on North White to southeast, later the emphasis is on North White Plains to Fordham.
not to many trees to cause problems beyond Fordham so they just don't was south of Fordham but still need to go to MO to go north.
  by MNRR New Haven Line

Saw Waterworld again, this time a little diffrent set up in the consist,
FL-9 2011 on point, the track washer, two tank cars, and F-10 410 brining up the rear. And I said to myself, "Bring your camera" before I left to work, and of course I left it home. And of course I had time to make it to Fairfield station and wait for the train to pass on by. what an Egg I laid.
  by abaduck

I've read some posts from previous years and have an idea what it's about, but a couple of questions:

1. How far West on the New Haven line do they operate?
2. They mostly run at night, but occasionally during the day 'as required'? When they do run, night or day, do they have anything resembling a schedule, or can they go at literally any time?

Thanks

Mike

by DutchRailnut

Out of North white plains one operates Harlem, other does New Haven. they will normally cover Woodlawn to Bridgeport.
they run 90 % of time at night and will hit New Haven line around
10: 30/11:00

by abaduck

Many thanks Dutch... so can maybe look for them heading East through Mamaroneck after 11PM, too late for still photography but might be able to video them... with four tracks to cover do they go out/back/out/back in one night?

Thanks

Mike

by Patrick A.

Excuse my ignorance, but what are ayou guys talking about?

by Nester

Patrick A. wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but what are ayou guys talking about?
Waterworld refers to the high-pressure water spray trains that MN uses to remove leaves and leaf residue from the tracks. They can't use chemical compounds because in many areas the track runs through watershed areas.

Next time you may want to try the search function on the board. The answer would have come to you quicker ;)

edit: I need a spel checkur :)

by L'mont

Anyone have a picture of the Waterworld train?