• Lackawanna Cutoff Passenger Service Restoration

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Bracdude181

More stops than I was anticipating. Hopefully that doesn’t add onto the travel time too much.

BTW Ken W2KB I know this is off topic but did you ever get the PM I sent you?
  by MaRoFu

If Amtrak is operating directly from NY Penn to Scranton, they’re going to have to use dual-mode locos due to the diesel restrictions. Another question is if Amtrak has any locomotives that can handle the change in voltage between the NE Corridor and the M&E lines.
  by photobug56

Yes, NYP to Scranton would require DM's. Whether they would be 3rd rail or cat based probably depends on clearances in tunnels and stations. I believe that the Hudson tunnels are 3rd rail equipped but am not sure, so that's the other concern. Cat might be required.
  by photobug56

Matt Johnson wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:11 pm That Marlboro train sounds fun, aside from the fact that I'm a non-smoker! I do wonder whether there is sufficient recreational market for a Poconos rail service, but I do see it being more of an Amtrak type service than NJ Transit if it ever happens.

For now, I'll have to settle for local rail excursions that remind us of what once was, and maybe could be again. I was born too late for the Phoebe Snow but Here I am in Honesdale, PA in 2020.
I'm a Scranton native.

BTW, great photo!
  by scratchyX1

photobug56 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:34 pm Yes, NYP to Scranton would require DM's. Whether they would be 3rd rail or cat based probably depends on clearances in tunnels and stations. I believe that the Hudson tunnels are 3rd rail equipped but am not sure, so that's the other concern. Cat might be required.
The North tunnels are third rail equipped, but Cat would make more sense, as it would be covering more of the route in New Jersey.
  by JoeG

I believe that the third rail in the Hudson tunnels has been removed. Catenary extends to Dover.
  by Bracdude181

Wasn’t Amtrak buying new trains that can run on catenary power and diesel power? I’d imagine that would help.
  by JoeG

By the time any service past Andover is started, current and near-future engines will have long since been scrapped.
  by Gilbert B Norman

photobug56 wrote: How far out from Penn towards and onto the Cutoff is there working cat or 3rd rail?
Mr. Photobug, Mr. Grossman has now affirmed there is no longer 3rd rail much past the LIRR Coach Yard, which I guess is now underground the structures comprising Hudson Yards.

The 3rd rail went no further South than Manhattan Transfer. That today is the NJT facility immediately North of Newark Penn.
  by lensovet

It’s not rocket science.

They can order more ALP-45s or they can put out an RFP for the Charger dual modes. The latter seems more likely for fleet consistency with their existing diesel Chargers.
  by eolesen

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
JoeG wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:14 pm I doubt if this route would get enough patronage to justify its construction.
Well Mr. Grossman, it seems to be you and I against all the "disciples" around here of that Connect US "coloring book".
Nah, I'm here too. This was always a boondoggle. Tourists won't be riding this, and nobody willingly commutes three hours each way...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

by R36 Combine Coach

lensovet wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:03 am They can order more ALP-45s or they can put out an RFP for the Charger.
With AMT/EXO going diesel, those ALP45s could be available.