• Kovatch Nesquehoning shipped by rail?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by carajul

I never thought Kovatch shipped by rail, in fact I was always told they hated rail.
The CR system book (page 464) shows in 1973 there were 778 carloads for Kovach. Seriously!!??!? But in 1974 there were only 12. What was Kovatch shipping in 1974? That a lot of carloads wow! It also shows a company called Diversified Industries in Hometown shipped 426 carloads. What and where was this company? That's a rather busy line and they recommended it NOT be included into CR!
  by pumpers

I am not sure about what happened between this Conrail "Final System Plan" (FSP) and the current operation of the whole region by RBMN. Conrail did in the end take on some lines it said it didn't want in the FSP (not sure if it changed its mind on its own or by political pressure), and some were transferred to the states and kept operating by state subsidies (with Conrail doing a lot of the operating). I don't know which of these cases applied to the Nesquehoning Branch. Some of what RBMN operates it bought from Conrail when Conrail threw in the towel around 1990 in the anthracite region, and some are county-owned. I think the Nesquehoning branch is county-owned. Others here will know for sure. Jim S
  by FLRailFan1

What did Kovatch do as a business? Still in business?