• Kodak Park Railroad equipment (was: Kodak Park RS-3 #5)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nydepot

Thanks!
CRHauf wrote:Charles,

Here is KPRR #5 today:

http://www.irm.org/cgi-bin/rsearch.cgi? ... ansfer=200

Preserved at the Illinois Railway Museum. I don't know all the steps from Kodak, but we know this is the engine.

Would look nice paired back up with EK6 and EK9 at the R&GVRRM:

http://www.rgvrrm.org/about/railroad/ek6/index.htm
http://www.rgvrrm.org/about/railroad/ek9/index.htm

Until later,
Chris

by joshuahouse

I take it that Kodak picked this locomotive up new as well as many if not most of the others as well?

by CRHauf

Joshua,

I don't think they bought the RS-3 new, but I can't say for sure. I think it will be a 50/50 or so split on new vs. second hand. For example, EK6, the 80-tonner at the R&GVRRM, was KPRR's first diesel and was bought new. The R&GVRRM is only the second owner! #9, the RS-1, was built for the Chicago & Western Indiana before going to the G&W for less than a year before going to KPRR in 1971. On their current roster, #3 is ex-P&LE while #8 and #10 were bought new.

As for the other engines, others will need to chime in. There was a nice article done by Rochester Chapter NRHS member, Mike Byrne, in TRAINS magazine back in the late 1980s or early 1990s which is another resource with those with a ready TRAINS magazine collection at hand.

Until later,
Chris

by FarmallBob

CRHauf wrote:I don't think they bought the RS-3 new, but I can't say for sure. I think it will be a 50/50 or so split on new vs. second hand.
You're not far off Chris! Here's the heritage of the entire KP diesel roster:

#3 (SW1500) - ex P&LE
#4 (GP7) - ex P&LE
#5 (46 ton GE) - ex NYC, Bethelehem Steel
2nd #5 (RS3) - ex SJ Groves, Minnesota Transfer
#6 (GE 80 ton) - purchased new
#7 (GE 95 ton) - ex Ashley Drew & Northern
#8 (SW1000)- purchased new
#9 (RS1) - ex G&W, Chicago & Western Indiana
#10 (MP15AC) - purchased new

...FB
  by jr

Getting back to nydepot's original question, EK-5 went to Interlake Steel (Chicago) as their #19, and then on to IRM, who repainted it back to its original owner, Minnesota Transfer.

Information from X2200 South #121

JR

by nydepot

Additional info:

Minnesota Transfer #200
Alco RS-3
Builder's Number: 79245
Built: 10/51

Notes: To Cleveland, OH dealer (GE-Cleveland?) in 1970, then to S.J. Groves Construction #507, then to Eastman Kodak #5, then to Interlake Steel #19, then to Illinois Ry Museum, restored as MTFR #200.

It should be noted, and the original reason I posted the question, the dealer in between Kodak and Interlake was GE-Hornell, NY.

Charles
  by caboose9

Additional info: The Kodak Park caboose is B&O C-2021/KPRR (no #), built in 1926 by the B&O Washington, IN, Shops as a wood, cupola, hack, sold to Kodak in 1975, and rebuilt in 1986 for "passenger service" by Kodak with steel plating and sealed windows.

There are a couple of photos of the caboose at Kodak in Jones, Dwight, 2001, C&O/B&O Cabooses: Display and Private Owner Cars: Colubus, OH, B&O Caboose Publishers, page 24. (Info at: [email protected] or [email protected])

Roger
  by scottychaos

caboose9 wrote:Additional info: The Kodak Park caboose is B&O C-2021/KPRR (no #), built in 1926 by the B&O Washington, IN, Shops as a wood, cupola, hack, sold to Kodak in 1975, and rebuilt in 1986 for "passenger service" by Kodak with steel plating and sealed windows.

There are a couple of photos of the caboose at Kodak in Jones, Dwight, 2001, C&O/B&O Cabooses: Display and Private Owner Cars: Colubus, OH, B&O Caboose Publishers, page 24. (Info at: [email protected] or [email protected])

Roger
Roger,
what Kodak Park caboose?
(it sounds like you are continuing a discussion about a KP caboose..but your post was the first to mention it! ;)
never heard of a KP caboose before..is it still around anywhere?

thanks,
Scot

by BR&P

Scot - I took Roger's post as continuing the discussion of assorted Kodak equipment, not necessarily the caboose in particular.

Incidently, that is the second Kodak caboose - the first one was an ex-NYC wooden cab with no cupola, from memory I believe it was 19969 but may be wrong. Last I heard it was privately owned down near Canaseraga or somewhere like that.
  by caboose9

BR&P wrote "That is the second Kodak caboose - the first one was an ex-NYC wooden cab with no cupola, from memory I believe it was 19969 but may be wrong. Last I heard it was privately owned down near Canaseraga or somewhere like that."

Hi BR,

I list a NYC caboose in Canaseraga, NY, but it was reported as "wood, cupola, NYC 16969, Lazy Acres Museum, CR 15a".

It would be an easy typo on the reporter's or my end to turn 19969 into 16969. The cupola is a bit harder to explain, although it's a clearly possible error.

Perhaps a trip to the Lazy Acres Museum is in order? Anyone live within 50 miles of the Canaseraga metroplex? It's only about 10 miles west of I-390 in the land of long skinny lakes.

Wood, cupola?, ERIE 04972 caboose is also reported in Canaseraga, on Meadow Brook Dr.

Cheers, Roger, west of Rochester

by driftinmark

scott,

the caboose is still around, it seems to travel around the park.......it was parked near the tower for a little while, its also been up on the hill from time to time, I have been up to it real close, looks like it needs a little work, but its still pretty nice................I have also heard rumors of george eastmans personal pullman cars stored in a building some where, but im not sure if this one is true

mark
  by scottychaos

Update on that Kodak Park Caboose..
it is now on display!

It's inside Kodak Park, but visable from public property..
It's right inside the Eastman Avenue entrance to KP.

There is a long row of public parking lots behind the California Brew House..
just north-east of the Ridge/Dewey interesction..
park there and walk north along Woodside street toward Eastman ave..
cant miss it!

Scot
  by BR&P

Another long-dead thread resurrected! Finally have some new and specific details, and since some guys keep accurate records I'll pass it along for historic posterity! :wink:

EK 5 was waybilled from Rochester to Hornell NY 03-31-1978, waybill # 256911. Shipper is Eastman Kodak, consignee is VIC Industries Corp, Loder St. Route is CR all the way. Weight 266000, moving at half-price rate, 133,000 at 93 cents/cwt. Freight $1236.90, special train rate $22.65 per mile for 146 miles, $3306.90. So total freight cost was $4543.80.

Description is "1 shot locomotive moving on own wheels but not on own power for repairs. 50 percent actual weight."

So to answer Charles' initial question, VIC Industries is who it went to from Rochester. As I noted above, I believe that was some sort of organization to train military veterans with skills useful in finding employment and I suspect - but don't know for a fact - they probably used part of the former Erie shop which I think was run by GE at the time.
  by nydepot

Thanks again, Don!

From there it went to Interlake Steel.

More info from the Intertubes:

"The following is excerpted from the book, "A Centennial Remembrance", by Richard Steinbrenner: Under Conrail, the former E-L shops at Hornell, NY lay idle until mid-1978, when VIC Industries leased them with the intent to rebuild freight cars and locomotives. In the following year, General Electric leased the shops and began contract locomotive and car rebuilding activities."

So this engine is the only engine I've found that ended up down there. Anyone know of any others?
  by Matt Langworthy

nydepot wrote:The following is excerpted from the book, "A Centennial Remembrance", by Richard Steinbrenner: Under Conrail, the former E-L shops at Hornell, NY lay idle until mid-1978, when VIC Industries leased them with the intent to rebuild freight cars and locomotives. In the following year, General Electric leased the shops and began contract locomotive and car rebuilding activities."

So this engine is the only engine I've found that ended up down there. Anyone know of any others?
In terms of the engines actually staying on the premises, I don't know if GE kept any of them in Hornell.

On the other hand, GE's rebuild program at Hornell is well-known. Among other things, a fleet of Conrail C424s (mostly of EL ancestry) were rebuilt there for the D&H and the G&W circa 1980.