• Knox & Kane ping-pong coaches for sale

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Otto Vondrak

7285- Consider switching to decaf? Chill out, man.

by Long Island 7285

I chilled out for now, (till the next thing that will spark my fuse) :wink:

Is there any possibilites that after the 39 finally does operate under her own power, that the RMLI can contact the socity in wantagh and salvage the "Jamaica" and restore it back to operating condition?

Hey, Swap out the Jamaica for a Ping Pong in it's place?

This way we get the open porch car that we really should be running behind the pullmans with 39, and then we get a ping pong back home to replace the "Jamaica" in wantagh .

we all can benifit for this.

by jayrmli

A couple of clarifications are in order in regards to moving the ping pongs.

1) If you're going to run them on their own from K&K to Long Island in freight service, you would have to satisfy AAR interchange rules. The pings wouldn't qualify on a number of issues, not just the riveted trucks. The air brakes are out of date, and would probably not be allowed in a freight train. If the knuckles have the pins on the top of the knuckle, that is also outlawed. (Locomotives are not bound by this rule, just cars)

2) If you're going to move them via a flatcar, they would have to be loaded and unloaded via crane (big bucks), certified OK for shipment by a rigger (more big bucks). and trucked from a point from either Fresh Pond (or possibly Cross Harbor) due to hight restrictions (again, more big bucks). High and Wide shipments within New York City also operate during different windows than anywhere else in the country, which require crews to move them during odd hours (I smell lots of overtime, again more big bucks.)

3) The idea of having them moved by two different crane companies, riggers, and the general freight system all through donations is pie in the sky thinking. It would be a nice thought, but it's a lot easier said than done.

4) Moving passenger cars over Class 1 carriers have gotten tougher for a number of reasons. CSX had a big problem with them after the move of some ex-LIRR P72s going to New Hope & Ivyland. The problem lies in the fact that such moves are a pain in the neck for freight carriers, require special handling instructions, and unless you have a freight crew with a lot of whiskers on their face, have never operated such equipment. This is what happened in that derailment. The crew operated the coaches in the middle of a 100+ car consist, and that's what caused the derailment. (FYI passenger equipment should be on the rear of a freight train.) Most Class 1's didn't (and still don't) want to be bothered, so they will move it in a hospital train at $50+ per mile to discourage you. All cars must now be registered in UMLER and have ID tags, just like freight cars.

Jay

by LIRRNOVA55

Long Island 193.

BLT to deal with one of the worst east coast blizzards.

Rushed through Cooke locomotive and machine Co. 11/1898

last remaning all steam rotary used on the NEC.

rusting away to ash.

must i go on.

by Long Island 7285

So in the case of seeing the ping pongs come home, we can blame the new ClassI regulations and that freight railroads dont want to move passenger equpt, and add that they dont know how to move it the right way as they ahould of known to put the pullmans in the rear of the train.
"once an ass, always an ass"

and that one ass will blow it for all of us.

$50.00 P/M thats a joke, insane, and just a lousy way to make a few extra bucks on moving historic railroad equpt.
  by de402

Jay what are they? I've never heard of them.... Thanks