• Kitbashing locomotives?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by XRails

I saw in an old article of Shoreliner (NH heritage periodical) a set of instructions for kitbashing an HO FL-9 from an FP-7 and a discarded body. The process basically involved some frame modification and the installation of an SD truck on the rear to replace the stock 2 axle truck. My question is: is there such an animal as a kitbashed N scale loco? I don't just mean superdetailing, I mean frame modification to turn it into a different loco entirely, like turning a b23-7 into a bq23-7?

by keeper1616

oh yes - an article by Otto Vandrak and Mike Sadovnick was in Model Railroad Craftsman Dec 2001 called "Kitbashing an NJ Transit GP40FH-2 in N Scale."

Anything that can be done in one scale, in theory be done in any other scale... Making GP7/9s into SD7/9s and visa versa is pretty easy. A few detail parts, the fuel tanks and the trucks are all that need to be changed.

by XRails

Neat! When I was surfing a bit last night I came across this page: http://www.angelfire.com/az/fastjeff57/ showing a kitbashed Baldwin Transfer Loco. Someday I might pick up that part of the hobby once the layout is done.

Another question semi-related: Who is your main online supplier? My local hobby shop is more of a toy store and has a rather limited N-scale selection. I was using Walthers.com for a while before I realized I could buy elsewhere at well below the MSRP. Who has the best selection? Brooklyn Locomotive Works (http://www.blwnscale.com/) looks promising. Anyone have experience with them?

by keeper1616

I have had great luck with Internet Trains and The N-Scale Division

by XRails

Thanks, I'll have a look...
  by sjl

I work part time in a hobby shop with a nice selection of N Scale.

Webmaster, am I allowed to plug my employer?

rls

by jnewman

sjl,

you may plug away :D

by sjl

thanks!

Mainline Hobby Supply in Blue Ridge Summit is known for its extensive selection of HO scale detail parts. We also have quite a bit of N scale supplies, featuring Atlas, Kato and Micro-Trains. We carry Walthers Cornerstone kits and freight cars, Intermountain, Bowser, Red Caboose and LBF cars, and track products from Atlas, Micro-Engineering and Kato. We ship around the world. Custom painting, DCC and repairs, too!

visit us at mainlinehobby.com

(ok, so maybe just a wee bit proud here...)

thanks again! ron
  by fordhamroad

Yes, you can do a lot kitbashing locomotives in N. It takes time and ingenuity, as well as magnifying glasses. There are not too many detail parts available, but sometimes you can salvage pieces off junker engines etc.
Being a New Haven fan, my first attempt was a pair of FA locomotives into an electric NH EP-5. I tried several variants on the FL-9, but came closest by bashing two Rapido FP-9 shells to get the length, filling in and moving portholes and roof details. I used EMD 6 wheel truck frames epoxied to the working four wheel frames to get the rear truck, and a very long coupler. I am currently working on partial conversions of Kato/Tomix flatbottoms to give the general impression of NH locomotives.
It is not always possible to get the exact details as in HO, but N is a bit more forgiving because some small parts are not visible. It is possible to get the general features and dimensions close and to custom paint them in your favorite road. If you haven't done much N kitbashing, try a few cabooses or work cars, chopping, cutting, filling, swappinf to get some items for your favorite railroad. Then try an engine. Good Luck. Roger

by NsNscalerailfaN

Hey Ron! Remember me??? I'm the kid that models NS....How's your layout coming????
  by fglk

:(
Last edited by fglk on Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by thirdrail

Kitbashed Diesels? Here are a couple of mine:

by thirdrail

I have been concentrating on kitbashing steam letely. Here's a PRR F1a Mogul:

:D :D :D

by thirdrail

xXwelderXx wrote:What is the difference between a C424 and a C430??
600 HP on the prototype. :P On the model, the long hood is longer, the short hood is shorter, and the radiator flare is wider. :wink: