• Kingson NY shops

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by onder

I was looking at:

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/mountain/nyc.shtml

and saw this:

"Many of the "Mohawks" were serviced and rebuilt in repair shops in Kingston, NY (the first capital of NY state) on the Albany Avenue Extension. There was another yard outside of Albany called the Selkirk Yard. That yard remained intact much later than the Kingston Shops. Every "Mohawk" rebuilt in the Kingston shops was fitted with smoke deflectors. Some were given Timken bearings and stainless steel drivers."

Leaving out the stainless steel drivers, I am unaware that much
overhaul work was done at Kingston NY.
Is this untrue?

by LCJ

I don't believe this is true. I think this work was done in West Albany. Kingston never had any such shops -- only a small roundhouse.
  by ChiefTroll

Well, the Kingston Roundhouse WAS on Albany Avenue Extension. As for the rest of that, Hmmmmm.

I could swear, based on my recollections of 45 years ago, that the Kingston turntable would not accommodate any of the L-class engines. I could tell better if I stop and measure it the next time I go through Grand Gorge, where the turntable presently resides. Believe it or not. But that's another story.

The Kingston Roundhouse had no overhead clearance, let alone a crane, for any classified repairs to steam locomotives.

The U&D rebuilt its 20- and 30-class engines, later NYC Fx Class, at Rondout Shops, but the NYC closed Rondout in 1932. There is no way an L could have made it down the hill and around the curves from Kingston to Rondout.

by onder

Good Lord! It is up in GG?
Fill me in on this one!

by Railjunkie

If memory serves me correctly the turntable in Kingston was 85 ft, I have some old track charts of the kingston yard packed away Ill see if I can locate them..