• kinda dumb Amtrak conductor's question...

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by bmichel5581

I live in Normal IL and am interested in becoming a conductor for Amtrak. Currently there aren't any job postings up but I was curious all the same if I would have to move to Chicago if I were to ever be hired?

The only reason I ask is because one time i rode the California Zephyr and they changed conductors at Omaha, so I was curious if some people worked out of a "in-route" station or whatever.

any help is appriciated! :D

by route_rock

No idea about the Cons but I know the service staff stays on the trains from home terminal to home terminal ( you get to know them pretty well when your dead headed on there a lot :-D ) But Chicago would get you into jobs going east and west. I can ask around but we only have station agents here not sure if they would know.
Better idea call the amtrak employment line maybe they ca tell you. Good luck hope to see you on the Zephyr or Chief!

by c604.

Conductors and engineers do not work the whole trip of an intercity train. They work to intermediate stations. I think the crews that work though Normal are based out of Chicago and St. Louis but I'm not positive.

Give this a shot:

http://www.teamrewards.net/home/index.jsp

by AmtrakFan

5/6 Conductors home terminal is Omaha 3/4 Conductors Chicago

by travelinjack

Here's a few things to keep in mind if you are interested in becoming a Conductor with Amtrak.

You would start as an assistant conductor. Basically a ticket taker. All assistant conductor training is now done at the training center in Wilmington, DE. At least for AC's hired for the northeast corridor but possibly for the whole system. The big thing though is this...Amtrak is trying to get a "crew-consist" program in effect. It's being held up by the union, but it is coming. Once in effect, Amtrak will basically have a formula that will tell them how many crew members will be assigned to a train based on # of cars and passengers. As it is now they would love to have just a conductor on the Acela's. Once Crew-Consist is in effect, I'd expect to see Amtrak hiring far less conductors and the junior guys are pretty worried also. Many have put in for other crafts, mostly Train Dispatcher and Engineer. Something to think about.