• Kawasaki Rebuild Program at Alstom

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by BandA

chrisf wrote:
BandA wrote:The glass is actually Plexiglas, right? And there is clearly photodegradation involved.
They're Lexan or other brand polycarbonate rather than Plexiglas.
Lexan (polycarbonate) apparently generally has greater impact resistance than Plexiglas (poly methyl methacrylate), which is more flexible and has greater tensile strength.
  by sonicdoommario

From what I've read, the rebuilt Kawasaki's have Ds next to their car number, but I've seen two Kawasakis (760 and 768) with Ds next to them, but they do not appear to have been rebuilt (unless the LED signs were on the other side of the car). Or am I misreading it? According to the NETransit inventory, they haven't been rebuilt yet.

Also, what is the average time of a rebuild? Still looks like they're finishing up the remains of the first batch of cars.

Also, when a rebuilt car (according to the inventory page) is in testing, who is doing the testing? Alstom or the MBTA using a non-revenue train?

Thanks!
  by Diverging Route

The "D" means the coach has electric doors.
Last edited by CRail on Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
  by GP40MC1118

Acceptance testing for the rebuilt K-Cars are done down in Rochester, Ma. on the Mass Coastal

D
  by sonicdoommario

Looks like there's finally been some movement here....according to NETransit, 727 and 1706 have returned and are in testing, although 757 and 767 have been in testing for seemingly forever.
  by MBTA3247

907 was tagged the night it was delivered in 2005. It was cleaned up with no problems.
  by GP40MC1118

724 & 744 are returning from Alstom and were into East Deerfield on Pan Am yesterday.

D
  by sonicdoommario

Curious, where do you get that info? The only source I've been following is NETransit.
  by GP40MC1118

Various sources. They were reported on a NY oriented Facebook page and I had a friend in
the industry traced them for me.
  by Trinnau

I can confirm two K-cars were delivered today, saw them on the tracks behind BET but too far to get numbers.
  by sonicdoommario

Looks like 727 is back into service now, after what appeared to be about a week of testing.

How come that car got back into service fairly quickly, while 757 and 767 seem to have been in testing for quite a while now?
  by sonicdoommario

755 is going to be the next car sent out to Alstom. First one since I believe the 1720 this past summer.