Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by BuddSilverliner269

I think the new cars look great considering no railfan window on the "fireman" side. I have a question. Before 9-11 the WTC to NWK route ran with 8 cars and now its running with 7 cars. Why? Every morning when ridding up to NYC I look over at those poor people on the Path trains and they are jammed packed especially with the ridership increases. Ive always been baffled by this.
  by PONYA

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:I think the new cars look great considering no railfan window on the "fireman" side. I have a question. Before 9-11 the WTC to NWK route ran with 8 cars and now its running with 7 cars. Why? Every morning when ridding up to NYC I look over at those poor people on the Path trains and they are jammed packed especially with the ridership increases. Ive always been baffled by this.
Just not enough available cars in the fleet has forced PATH to run 7 cars. Many cars are unavailable due to repair requirements. The new PA-5 cars can't come on line quick enough.
  by OportRailfan

how often do the cars go out for inspection PONYA? isn't it like every 84/85/90 days?
  by PONYA

Cars are required to be inspected daily for brake and motors { long list of other items}. And before 90th day each car recieves a much more extensive inspection in the repair shop.
  by OportRailfan

OK, yeah I remember that they get FRA inspection before the 90th day...so I imagine the work is endless in the HCMF
  by OportRailfan

nice shots hockeyman haha
  by hockeyman

I was observing the fact that they did not object to an active train being photographed in a station and publishing those photos.
  by OportRailfan

I doubt the PA is searching for rogue pictures of their new equipment online.

I'd be surprised if they didn't know how much they were plastered all over this website haha
  by Steve F45

While waiting outside of NJT's offices in Newark for a job interview I saw a 4 car set roll into newark penn around 1130am. Nice looking cars.
  by OportRailfan

Yeah, I saw 2 and 2 sitting out in the yard on Friday
  by Silverliner II

hockeyman wrote:I was observing the fact that they did not object to an active train being photographed in a station and publishing those photos.
Just a lucky shot, I would say. A few weeks ago, a friend of mine was 'politely reminded' by a conductor that photography was not allowed on PATH when she took a shot of the NYC skyline out the window while going through the Meadows.

I told her not to ride the head or second cars next time, lol...
  by Kaback9

Silverliner II wrote:
hockeyman wrote:I was observing the fact that they did not object to an active train being photographed in a station and publishing those photos.
Just a lucky shot, I would say. A few weeks ago, a friend of mine was 'politely reminded' by a conductor that photography was not allowed on PATH when she took a shot of the NYC skyline out the window while going through the Meadows.

I told her not to ride the head or second cars next time, lol...
PATH is very strict with their photo policy. Go into the last car of the train no one seems to bother you there
  by OportRailfan

ha...if you're pretty inconspicuous you can typically get away with it...just be aware of what the Conductor is looking at/doing at that moment...I was able to film all of that catenary video in the front car through the front window