• Katy Heritage Unit / UP 1988

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by Beech Cricker

Does the Katy Heritage unit, UP 1988, have an assigned division, territory, line or does it roam system-wide?

Jeff

by GN 599

According to my buddy that works out of Roseville they are supposed to be assigned to a specific territory, I think that of their former road. But I am not sure though because they assign specific classes of motors to a specific region. The 1983 (WP) is supposed to roam the former WP but a few trips back I saw it on the point on the former SP here in Oregon with the 1996 (SP) third out in the consist. go figure

by Tadman

It was in KC this weekend along with the MoPac heritage unit DD40X, and the 844.
  by UPLee

The SP 1996 came through the Mojave yard on a Z-train the night before Thanksgiving. And we did a roll-by inspection for an Officer train the previous Friday. We could see them drinking "railroad water" : ) and playing cards on the executive car.

by Tadman

Do these heritage units have a noted designer? Or was it done in-house. I think whoever did this really captured the essence of the railroad each unit represents, rather than being a simple copy of one particular paint scheme used by the represented fallen flag. I appreciate this, because had UP just copied one prior paint scheme, half the discussions on this board would be about "why didn't UP use the jenks blue scheme instead of the eagle scheme for the MoPac unit"

by U-Haul

Each was designed by a team and the paint scheme was created on a computer.