• Kadee or McHenry?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Dieter

What size is best for IHC and Walther's passenger cars, and what are you guys putting #58's on?

D/

by Luther Brefo

Dieter wrote:What are you guys putting #58's on?

D/
Everything. Seriously. All of my equipment gets 58s if I have them otherwise they get 58's as soon as I get them.

by Guilford Guy

Kadees forever.

by scooter3798

Dieter wrote:What size is best for IHC and Walther's passenger cars, and what are you guys putting #58's on?

D/
Here is a link to the Kadee conversion list
http://www.kadee.com/conv/holist.pdf

Also let me just note that while the #58's are drop ins for most recent equipment they will not give you the proper height on some of the older stuff, a lot of the Athearn blue boxes come to mind here, with out some shimming. However it is still ALWAYS important to check ALL couplers with the Kadee height gauge. Here is the link to the gauge page on the Kadee site
http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/height.htm

Scooter
  by izzy1975

i like anything that stay together EXCEPT those nasty little horn hooks yuk, however i iuse accumate, Mchenry, and Kadee. Even the ones that mate with horn hook and kadee. As long as they work i dont care

by trainiac

Last year I bit the bullet and replaced the couplers on most of my fleet of HO railcars, about 2/3 of which had plastic couplers. (I only have about 60 cars, so it wasn't that expensive). This was following years of frustration with EZ-mate, Accumate and McHenry plastic couplers. The shanks are too thin, giving too much play in the coupler pockets and allowing way too much vertical flex. The plastic "whisker" springs simply don't hold up to even the most mild use. The result was endless separating after backup moves (or even on curves), couplers bending and sliding out from one another on the slightest height differences (especially on long equipment) and uncoupling wires catching on switch points.

I now have about 40% Kadee #58--the rest are #5 and a single car (with glued coupler pockets) has plastic EZ-mate couplers. It's the ONLY car that now causes coupler problems.

by Dieter

Scooter,

Thanks SOOO MUCH for the conversion list. You've helped out more people than you realize with that gesture!

D/

by scooter3798

Glad to hear that you made good use of the list Dieter, I know it has been very handy for myself. I have a copy printed out that I keep by the work bench so that when ever I'm in question I can just grab that one instead of running in and hopping on the computer. Also a side note to this any time Kadee is at a train show with their booth always make sure to stop by. They always have the latest conversion list there, plus some samples of their new couplers, this is how I discovered how great the whisker couplers are. Plus make sure you talk to Sam "the answer man" at the booth. He is one of the head guys at the company and is always great to talk with, he'll help you out with any coupler related problem that you have.

Scooter

by thomas81z

im with the kadee mob mchenrys plastic doesnt hold up well so i still with what works :P