• It's official...

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by MikeJ

I resigned from NS (management) this morning. I decided to get back in to the mechanical engineering field. Definitely glad I gave the railroad a shot and honestly, I will miss it.
  by drewg350

Hey Mike, thanks for all your help. I'm halfway thru finishing my OJT and will "mark up" in June with NS. It seems ALOT of guys in NS management do not stay. Was it the unbelievably long hours? Were you a trainmaster? Thanks again for answering alot of my questions and good luck in your new job.
  by MikeJ

I was in the mechanical department (car side). Yeah the hours were long sometimes (90 hours some weeks), but really the family wanted to be back in Florida. I will also make more doing real engineering and have a normal life so there was that motivation as well. What surprised me the most was my bosses telling me I was better off going somewhere else since I have an engineering degree and that basically I am too smart for the railroad. Of course they still didn't want me to leave and offered to move me south, but I declined.
  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

good for you mike,it feels good to get the RR off your back,and have a normal life.
  by trapper

Hey Mike, You wount miss it for very long, best of luck in Fla and the new enginering job!!

Trapper