• Is CN becoming IC?

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by AmtrakFan

Does EHH still work out of Chicago?

John

by emd_SD_60

jg greenwood wrote:
nickleinonen wrote:around my shop, CN is known as chicago national... myself and almost every other mechanic/electrican like saying canadian national, and many supervisors do too, but if they answer their phones with anything other than CN or CN rail, they can get their butts in trouble real quick... and maintenence is going down the craps.. everything is pushed too quick... standard [92day] inspections are now done on our service track, with the supervisors signing off many inspections items... on the cn loco's it isn't so bad as we maintened them very well before the cn/ic/wc deal. now if we get a WC or IC unit to do the inspection on, there will be many things that could make the loco non FRA but they supervisors sign them off...

wheels are bad too... as long as you can see light between the wheel gauge and the flange for high flange, they will OK it for service [being like 0.010" from condem limit]
The older IC units we have around E.St.Louis are nothing but worn out junk. Had the IC 6013/6017 yesterday; 26-cars out of Duquoin and the pieces of dung took an eternity to reach 40-mph, on relatively level track. You are 100% correct, total lack of maintenance!
JG,
What's your opinion on those WC SD45's (with those 20 cylinder fuel guzzling 645's, they probably have good pickup :P ) and GTW SD40's? (especially those of MoPac heritage) Do they run the same as those SD40A's? I bet you would take one of those new CN Dash 9's anyday... :-D

Also I think IC is the only railroad to still use jointed rail, I see a lot of that, lol. :wink:

by jg greenwood

emd_SD_60 wrote:
jg greenwood wrote:
nickleinonen wrote:around my shop, CN is known as chicago national... myself and almost every other mechanic/electrican like saying canadian national, and many supervisors do too, but if they answer their phones with anything other than CN or CN rail, they can get their butts in trouble real quick... and maintenence is going down the craps.. everything is pushed too quick... standard [92day] inspections are now done on our service track, with the supervisors signing off many inspections items... on the cn loco's it isn't so bad as we maintened them very well before the cn/ic/wc deal. now if we get a WC or IC unit to do the inspection on, there will be many things that could make the loco non FRA but they supervisors sign them off...

wheels are bad too... as long as you can see light between the wheel gauge and the flange for high flange, they will OK it for service [being like 0.010" from condem limit]
The older IC units we have around E.St.Louis are nothing but worn out junk. Had the IC 6013/6017 yesterday; 26-cars out of Duquoin and the pieces of dung took an eternity to reach 40-mph, on relatively level track. You are 100% correct, total lack of maintenance!
JG,
What's your opinion on those WC SD45's (with those 20 cylinder fuel guzzling 645's, they probably have good pickup :P ) and GTW SD40's? (especially those of MoPac heritage) Do they run the same as those SD40A's? I bet you would take one of those new CN Dash 9's anyday... :-D

Also I think IC is the only railroad to still use jointed rail, I see a lot of that, lol. :wink:
I haven't experienced any of the WC/GTW power. If the CN -9's are of the caliber as the BNSF -9's, I would for sure choose those over the older power.
Jointed rail? There's a siding known as Thawville on the Gilman/Clinton line that not only has jointed rail, the joints are PARALLEL!!!!!!!

by emd_SD_60

This was right south of the Dillinger Road crossing. Looking due south, one of the mains (I think its #2) I could see nothing but joints. Although in some parts in town there's continiously welded rail. And the ties- talk about an overdue extreme makeover! Some of them are rotted, very unsuitable.
It's amazing a train hasn't derailed yet. The UP Chester Sub is the exact opposite. No joints (jointed only at crossings), the ties are in very good condition, and so on. :wink:

by emd_SD_60

Yep, the IC is frugal alright. Is it just me or are those old, tired SD40's by far the noisiest sons of guns? They practically rattle everything in my house (which is a half mile from the tracks)! Me thinks CN is going to simply run those things into ground (which JG has said) and when they start dying one by one, they're going to be eventually put out to pasture. :( Why haven't they been given the Paducahbuilt treatment yet? CN must be too cheap to do that also.

by jg greenwood

emd_SD_60 wrote:Yep, the IC is frugal alright. Is it just me or are those old, tired SD40's by far the noisiest sons of guns? They practically rattle everything in my house (which is a half mile from the tracks)! Me thinks CN is going to simply run those things into ground (which JG has said) and when they start dying one by one, they're going to be eventually put out to pasture. :( Why haven't they been given the Paducahbuilt treatment yet? CN must be too cheap to do that also.
The Chicago & NorthWestern was sometimes referred to as the Cheap & NothingWasted. They had absolutely nothing on the IC!

by AmtrakFan

CNW use to beat up their units. My Dad was a UP Shareholder when the Service Crisis Happened and one day we saw a GP7 on a Manifest he said "I paid money to have new C44-9W not GP7's in road service" Cheap Skates! CN is like that I have seen SD40-2's struggle to pull a train in IL on the BN this was way before the IC merger. It was in 1994.

by emd_SD_60

I wonder if Chicago Central was nicknamed "Chump Change" by any chance... LOL :-D

by AmtrakFan

emd_SD_60 wrote:I wonder if Chicago Central was nicknamed "Chump Change" by any chance... LOL :-D
Yes that would be a good one. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

by AmtrakFan

emd_SD_60 wrote:I wonder if Chicago Central was nicknamed "Chump Change" by any chance... LOL :-D

by AmtrakFan

Last edited by AmtrakFan on Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by CNW_4404_Lover

AmtrakFan wrote:CNW use to beat up their units. My Dad was a UP Shareholder when the Service Crisis Happened and one day we saw a GP7 on a Manifest he said "I paid money to have new C44-9W not GP7's in road service" Cheap Skates! CN is like that I have seen SD40-2's struggle to pull a train in IL on the BN this was way before the IC merger. It was in 1994.
Maybe because the CNW GP7s had ATC, and the engines behind it didn't have that equipment which was required to lead trains on the main.

by AmtrakFan

CNW_4404_Lover wrote:
AmtrakFan wrote:CNW use to beat up their units. My Dad was a UP Shareholder when the Service Crisis Happened and one day we saw a GP7 on a Manifest he said "I paid money to have new C44-9W not GP7's in road service" Cheap Skates! CN is like that I have seen SD40-2's struggle to pull a train in IL on the BN this was way before the IC merger. It was in 1994.
Maybe because the CNW GP7s had ATC, and the engines behind it didn't have that equipment which was required to lead trains on the main.
No it was the 2nd Locomotive in the Concest.

by AmtrakFan

CNW_4404_Lover wrote:
No it was the 2nd Locomotive in the Concest.

by trainmaster_1

emd_SD_60 wrote:Is it just me or are those old, tired SD40's by far the noisiest sons of guns? They practically rattle everything in my house (which is a half mile from the tracks)!
Why do you have something against an SD40 or SD40-2 ? Heck at least there by far more reliable than those D9's or AC4400's.