• Irving/PAR/CSX Traffic

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by JB283

Thanks. I knew that about the wallboard. I read that someplace else on another forum on here somewhere. I just never knew what was in the HLMX cars until a recent post on here.
  by gokeefe

Discussion in the "More GP40's?" thread seems to indicate that PAR is expanding their motive power assets in order to cope with anticipated increases in business with Irving (NBSR/NMR).

If correct that is the surest sign yet of a major increase in business between NBSR/NMR (Irving) and PAR.
  by JB283

Has anyone heard if the test boxcar load from LP&T in Lincoln ME was a success or will they continue to truck it out?
  by carchecker

I see a big announcement in the Saint John paper yesterday about a new container line that will now be calling at Saint John. The Mediterranean Shipping Company is the second largest container shipping line in the world. The article also mentioned that part of the reason for MSC choosing Saint John was quick access to the port and the rail connection to both Canada and the USA. The only other Canadian ports of call are Montreal and Vancouver.
  by gokeefe

Does this development have any potential for new business with PAR?
  by fogg1703

Here is the announcement from the MSC website. If I'm reading it right the ship will leave Montreal, then stop in St John on its way to the Caribbean ports. Seems like direct competition to Tropical's operation from St John to Caribbean ports. Not sure how this will bring more traffic to PAR unless the containers are originating in New England, CN has a distinct advantage (to continue beating that same old horse) for any rail movements from anywhere else.

"MSC Dominicana introduces new port of call in Canada: SAINT JOHN, NB 13/03/2012

Mediterranean Shipping Company Dominican Republic, SRL is pleased to announce the introduction of our new Service to Saint John, NB (New Brunswick).
We will start calling Saint John, NB (New Brunswick) as from May, 1st 2012 on our Canada-Caribbean service.

Rotation: Montreal – Saint John – Caucedo – Freeport –Montreal.
Terminal port: Rodney Container Terminal.
Transit Time: 8 days aprox. to Caucedo port.
Frequency: Bi-weekly service.
  by pnolette

Has there been any news on PAR starting a new through train from CSX to NBSR?

Thanks