Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by NHRR WTBY

Was there ever an IRT #8? If so, what was the route? I'm guessing there was, since the 7th avenue line had a #9 train for a while and I can't imagine them skipping a number for no reason.

by orangeline

The 1967 system map shows the Bronx segment of the old 3rd Ave line designated as the #8. This route, between 149 St and Gun Hill Road, was discontinued and the elevated structure torn down in the early 1970s.
  by Allan

NHRR WTBY wrote:Was there ever an IRT #8? If so, what was the route? I'm guessing there was, since the 7th avenue line had a #9 train for a while and I can't imagine them skipping a number for no reason.
The original 8 was assigned to the IRT Astoria line (this is before it became a BMT division line in 1949). However, the IRT equipment in those days didn't have front rollsigns so they didn't identify routes using numbers (at least not to the public). BY the time the R12's came along the Astoria line was switched over to BMT division operation.

The next incarnation of the 8 (as already mentioned) was for the Bronx section of the 3rd Av El. It was only shown on the subway maps. The El was running Lo-V cars which did not have front roll signs. The Lo-V World's Fair cars that ran there which had a front roll sign could not handle a 2 piece sign so it was usually blank. When the R12/14's were reassigned to the EL the front roll signs in use did not have an 8 on it so they used "shuttle" instead.

Actually the use of the 9 was the second incarnation of the designation. It was originally assigned to the Dyre Avenue shuttle line when the ROW of the NYW&B was acquired by the city. But was is only for internal use since the original cars used where old elevated gate cars which didn't have front roll signs (or side ones for that matter). By the time the R17, R22 cars came around the roll signs did include "9 Dyre Avenue" but Lo-V cars were used on the line and the Dyre Aveue line was through routed to the 7th Avenue line and was renumbered the 2, so the sign never got seen by most people.
  by Jishnu

Allan wrote:Actually the use of the 9 was the second incarnation of the designation. It was originally assigned to the Dyre Avenue shuttle line when the ROW of the NYW&B was acquired by the city. But was is only for internal use since the original cars used where old elevated gate cars which didn't have front roll signs (or side ones for that matter). By the time the R17, R22 cars came around the roll signs did include "9 Dyre Avenue" but Lo-V cars were used on the line and the Dyre Aveue line was through routed to the 7th Avenue line and was renumbered the 2, so the sign never got seen by most people.
So Dyre Ave. through routed started as 2, huh? At what point did it get changed to 5?