• Interesting consists

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Volanova

Anyone know why 9524 was running with a three car consist led by 302 this morning? Isn't this usually at least a four car train? As you could imagine, with its arrival time at 07:44 at Suburban, it was completely packed.
  by rslitman

On July 6, for the second Friday in a row, train 371 carried extra cars that were put on the train at West Trenton. But I think it may have been just a coincidence, for a different reason.

Before leaving the office, I saw that New Jersey-to-New Jersey train 3791 was going to be just another Pennsylvania-to-New Jersey train, because it was originating at Woodbourne. 8370 was running about six minutes late. But when I got to the station, I could see a train in the yard, so I figured it made up some of the time.

However, just like the previous Friday, a three-car train that was almost certainly 8370 soon showed up. The train discharged the remaining passengers and then went into the yard.

A few minutes after the scheduled 5:18 p.m. departure time, 371 finally pulled into the station to begin its run. It had the extra cars that had been in the yard. I wondered if this would be a regular occurrence, perhaps moving cars into place for the weekend or Monday morning to deal with the reduction in the number of Silverliner IV-compatible cars. However, there were a few differences:

1. There were four cars added instead of three. All seven cars on the train were Silverliner IVs. I believe the extra cars were two married pair sets. At least two of the cars were part of such a set: 370 and 371, which had been extra cars the previous Friday! (I guess car 371 must have really wanted to be a part of train 371!)

2. At least one extra conductor (or assistant conductor) was on board, but she was not working. She got off pretty quickly, at Yardley. I don't know if this was the end of her workday or if she was going to get on another train from there.

3. There had been the apparent broken down train earlier, although I haven't figured out how these cars, if they had been on the broken down train, got to West Trenton, while another set of cars replaced it at Woodbourne.
  by jacorbett70

Cynwyd 1061/1062 was covered today by a four-car Rotem set, the longest I've seen in the three-plus years I've been here. Usually Cynwyd is one car. The substitute set came because the unit 718 for train 1058 was stalled by Amtrak power problems and could not restart when power was restored. Unit 730 (train 1060) pushed 718 into town.
  by rslitman

jacorbett70 wrote:Cynwyd 1061/1062 was covered today by a four-car Rotem set, the longest I've seen in the three-plus years I've been here. Usually Cynwyd is one car. The substitute set came because the unit 718 for train 1058 was stalled by Amtrak power problems and could not restart when power was restored. Unit 730 (train 1060) pushed 718 into town.
Is a "Rotem" what I know as a "Silverliner 5 [or V]"?

Either 6321 or the local that follows it had Silverliner Vs today instead of either the push-pulls of 6321 or the Silverliner IVs of the local.
  by Silverliner II

rslitman wrote:
jacorbett70 wrote:Cynwyd 1061/1062 was covered today by a four-car Rotem set, the longest I've seen in the three-plus years I've been here. Usually Cynwyd is one car. The substitute set came because the unit 718 for train 1058 was stalled by Amtrak power problems and could not restart when power was restored. Unit 730 (train 1060) pushed 718 into town.
Is a "Rotem" what I know as a "Silverliner 5 [or V]"?
Yes indeedy!! :) Or a Hyundai.
  by Silverliner II

4265 had a straight flush of Silverliner V's today. 824-823, 822-821 was the consist.
  by 25Hz

Yard by jenkintown had a sperry car, AEM-7 plus coaches and a silverliner 5 set.
  by Silverliner II

Sounding like a broken record; this morning, train 805 had the straight flush of Silverliner V's that I reported on 4265 yesterday. 824-823, 822-821 again.
  by MichaelBug

Silverliner II wrote:Sounding like a broken record; this morning, train 805 had the straight flush of Silverliner V's that I reported on 4265 yesterday. 824-823, 822-821 again.
The same flush is still together & was on 509 this morning, Thursday 7/26/12.
  by Silverliner II

MichaelBug wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:Sounding like a broken record; this morning, train 805 had the straight flush of Silverliner V's that I reported on 4265 yesterday. 824-823, 822-821 again.
The same flush is still together & was on 509 this morning, Thursday 7/26/12.
That set is stalking me, Michael. I saw it yesterday (3rd day in a row) on 545.
  by rslitman

Message 370 in this thread! How fitting for what I'm about to say!

Married pair 370 and 371 were on train 371 today. With train 371 set to get a new number in less than two weeks, this could be the last time this happens.
  by Silverliner II

Caught Silverliner IV #403 leading train 403 on Thursday morning (8/30).
  by rslitman

rslitman wrote:Message 370 in this thread! How fitting for what I'm about to say!

Married pair 370 and 371 were on train 371 today. With train 371 set to get a new number in less than two weeks, this could be the last time this happens.
In fact, that was Message 371/Reply 370, which made it even more fitting.

However, that was not the last time they were on 371. For the second Tuesday in a row, 370 and 371 were on trains 8370/371 today. They were also on the train whose number I think is 323 on Wednesday morning, August 29, the day after the earlier sighting. I wonder if they will be on 323 tomorrow.
  by Matthew Mitchell

708 was coupled up with 279 in Roberts Yard this morning.
  by Nick L

While driving on Route 13 a few nights ago, I saw a pair of AEM-7s pulling a single car (looked like a Comet-family car, but I'm not sure about that) on the Trenton line headed towards Center City. I couldn't tell who the owner was, though. Some sort of test, I suppose?