• Info on CRI&P Accident in near Monteith, Iowa in 1888

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

by Bess

Can anyone help me in finding information about the following accident?

On June 9th, 1888 near Monteith, in Guthrie County, IA a Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Gravel Train on the Branch was thrown. The Rear Conductor was killed and a fireman and two brakemen were severely injured.

I have a copy of a newspaper account written a week later (June 14th, 1888) and information that states the conductor's widow tried to sue the company but settled 13 months later for $200.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Bess

by route_rock

You may want to check the Guthrie county historical society and RITS for more info. Not sure where else you might find any information good luck though.
  by Bess

Thank you for your help! I have contacted the Guthrie Center but am unfamiliar with the term RITS....what does it stand for?

Thanks again,
Bess

by AmtrakFan

Bess,
Rock Island Techincal Society.

by 13 times out

:-D