• In Storage: Bear, DE ???

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by frequentflyer

ApproachMedium wrote:There are 15 aem-7s left there. They have had all of their horns removed and will have all of the numberboards removed. People like to keep stealing things that are not theirs. I dont know why any of the windows would be missing, they were all there in april.

The beech grove will be there until the airline guy goes away. The two ACS-64s are probably going to get scrapped a long with the string of random amfleets
Who does the scrapping? Amtrak employees or a third party?
  by liftedjeep

liftedjeep wrote:-Not sure when they arrived, but wrecked City Sprinter #601 (still under wrap) and business car "Beech Grove" #10001 were photographed today 6/25 out back of the Amtrak car shops in Bear, DE.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4978431" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

#601 was damaged when it derailed at Frankford Junction, PA in May of 2015. It is seen here coupled to mothballed F40PHR #408:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4978432" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Business Car #10001 "Beech Grove" was coupled to the opposite side of City Sprinter #601:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4978433" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-I could see about 8 to 10 retired AEM-7's at Bear. Most have had their numberboards removed, and a few have even had some of their side window glass removed as well. One in not too rough of shape was #917:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4978434" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

#917 is couple to #941. Seen here is the nose and cab section of #941:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4978435" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ben
Mr Approach,

Who is the "airline guy"?

Also, are there or will there be any type of outlet to legally acquire a numberboard from one of the retired AEM-7s?

Ben
  by ApproachMedium

If you dont know who the airline guy is, then you havent been paying attention to amtrak in the last year.

If you want a numberboard, PM me and I will put you in contact with the right people where one can legally be obtained (yes this exists). All scrapping is done by a 3rd party contract. The 15 units left behind are not to be scrapped, as they are NOT owned by amtrak.
  by R36 Combine Coach

ApproachMedium wrote:The two ACS-64s are probably going to get scrapped a long with the string of random amfleets
I recall one plan was to send 601 back to Sacramento for a rebuild, but this no longer appears to be the case. Are the Amfleets being scrapped wreck/salvage cars?
  by Backshophoss

Some of the wrecked cars might be still on Legal Dept hold list
  by Gilbert B Norman

What caused the "Beech Grove" to be withdrawn from service?

Secondly, very disappointing that 601 could not have been returned to service. I must wonder if Legal was concerned that it would be confronted with the possibility of a Civil Seizure (it's happened before to Amtrak) - and maybe right in the middle of a run.

Further, I presume that 601 has been stripped of any and all parts and that what is being scrapped is little more than a frame and a body shell. Also, since Responsibility Accounting has become of interest around here over at the Dining Car topic, were the parts removed from the 601 Credited (reduced from) the unit's Book Value (what Amtrak paid for it), and Debited (added to) an Inventory account? Further, when those parts get applied to another unit, will the cost of those parts be Debited to the cost of the repair and Credited against the Inventory. Failure to do that would be a device, however immaterial, to make the Corridor appear more profitable.

Review of such transactions generally involve Internal Audit rather than outside auditors.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by CVRA7

[quote="Gilbert B Norman"]What caused the "Beech Grove" to be withdrawn from service?[/quote]
Mr. Norman, possibly Amtrak did not want to wave it in the face of private car owners who own cars with open observation platforms - which I believe have been banned at least from the NEC. (this is just a guess)
  by DutchRailnut

another rumor, no open platform cars are not banned, it is illegal to occupy open platform when train is in motion. and private car owner would be held responsible.
  by Gilbert B Norman

ApproachMedium wrote:The two ACS-64s are probably going to get scrapped a long with the string of random amfleets
Is there still time, Brother???

Away from that line of script within the movie "On the Beach", is the question if the ACS-64 production line with Siemens still open to have a two unit "tack on" to the SEPTA order.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Gilbert B Norman wrote:If the ACS-64 production line with Siemens still open to have a two unit "tack on" to the SEPTA order.
This would be same exact situation as the 1987 AEM7 add-on order when additional units intended to replace 900 and 903 at Chase were included (and also in 1987 this was tied to a SEPTA AEM7 order at the same time).
  by eolesen

Gilbert B Norman wrote:What caused the "Beech Grove" to be withdrawn from service?

Secondly, very disappointing that 601 could not have been returned to service. I must wonder if Legal was concerned that it would be confronted with the possibility of a Civil Seizure (it's happened before to Amtrak) - and maybe right in the middle of a run.

Further, I presume that 601 has been stripped of any and all parts and that what is being scrapped is little more than a frame and a body shell. Also, since Responsibility Accounting has become of interest around here over at the Dining Car topic, were the parts removed from the 601 Credited (reduced from) the unit's Book Value (what Amtrak paid for it), and Debited (added to) an Inventory account? Further, when those parts get applied to another unit, will the cost of those parts be Debited to the cost of the repair and Credited against the Inventory. Failure to do that would be a device, however immaterial, to make the Corridor appear more profitable.

Review of such transactions generally involve Internal Audit rather than outside auditors.
It’s been my assumption that equipment involved in a fatality is sidelined as evidence until all pending litigation comes to an end. By cocooning it, they’ve preserved it for any discovery that might happen. Stripping it for parts might be viewed as tampering.
  by Backshophoss

Most likely "Delta Dick" will not use Beech Grove at all,barely uses American View.
  by ApproachMedium

Lots of parts were already removed from both 601 and 627. Like the main transformers. Both units have extensive frame and body damage.

The amfleets in the scrap line are all stuff that COULD be repaired, but apparently they arent holding on to stuff to do yet another TIGER style thing from what it seems. Theres a few of those metroliners made for michigan services in the line also.

Beech grove is stored because the delta guy thinks its a waste to use and move around. And its a private car. They dont want anything to do with private cars.
  by R36 Combine Coach

ApproachMedium wrote:The amfleets in the scrap line are all stuff that COULD be repaired, but apparently they arent holding on to stuff to do yet another TIGER style thing from what it seems. Theres a few of those metroliners made for michigan services in the line also.
The Metroliners converted to Michigan coaches were former first class parlors mostly, most of the snack bar coaches stored at Wilmington were scrapped.

Would Metroliner 9800 still be used for VIPs if Beech Grove is idled and American View as well?
  by eolesen

Dunno... the three business cars mentioned all serve slightly different purposes.

"American View" is a track inspection car. It's the most likely to be used, probably by Engineering more than by an executive showing off Amtrak's facilities to VIP's. There will always be a use for this type of car.

"Beech Grove" is your traditional 1900's business car. A small galley & private dining compartment, two bedrooms, and a 6-8 seat parlor section. It's perfect for executives traveling by train to/from events who aren't entertaining other VIP's and deserve some quite space where they won't be bothered by paying customers. Unfortunately, time is money to most of us, so I suspect executives fly commercial when they have to travel for business.

9800 is an anomaly.... Without a theater rear window, it's useless for track or facilities inspection. It was made to be used as a chartered space that could be added to a scheduled train, and its only possible use in a business car fleet aside is to provide a larger meeting space. Had it been successful in revenue service, there would have been more cars built like 9800. But it wasn't. And there weren't.

Rather than keep a dedicated business car fleet, Amtrak might be better off chartering from one of the Class 1's or a private operator when the need arises.