• Improving Hartford-Springfield Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Nyterider

This service seems poorly utilized especially when it serves a city the size of Hartford. What are the chances of getting through trains between Springfield and New York, either by changing engines at New Haven again or running straight through with dual-powered Gennies? Some of the speed limits seem oppressively low too, particularly the grade crossings in Meriden. Trains here are restricted to 25 mph while trains in Asbury Park, NJ and Ashland, VA get a generous 40 mph despite even more frequent crossings. Also, the curves on either side of Hartford and the Connecticut River bridge could be super-elevated for a 5 or 10 mph increase also. I'm not sure how the yard tracks link into the line just north of the Hartford tunnel--that might be the reason for the low speed there.

I guess it would fall on Connecticut to fund any improvements and that may take some time, huh? :(

by Gilbert B Norman

Possibly a simple oversight by the originator, but there are presently two through trains Daily; namely Regional 141 and 55 Vermonter
  by george matthews

Nyterider wrote:This service seems poorly utilized especially when it serves a city the size of Hartford. What are the chances of getting through trains between Springfield and New York, either by changing engines at New Haven again or running straight through with dual-powered Gennies? Some of the speed limits seem oppressively low too, particularly the grade crossings in Meriden. Trains here are restricted to 25 mph while trains in Asbury Park, NJ and Ashland, VA get a generous 40 mph despite even more frequent crossings. Also, the curves on either side of Hartford and the Connecticut River bridge could be super-elevated for a 5 or 10 mph increase also. I'm not sure how the yard tracks link into the line just north of the Hartford tunnel--that might be the reason for the low speed there.

I guess it would fall on Connecticut to fund any improvements and that may take some time, huh? :(
This page links to the current plans.
http://www.ct.gov/dotinfo/cwp/view.asp?a=2181&Q=295562

My observation is that the minimum needed would be a second track laid at Hartford station

by njtmnrrbuff

On the NJCL at Asbury Park, they should bring that portion up to at least 60 as there are too many grade crossings. Getting to Amtrak's SPG line, there could be some speed increases. At Wallingford, why not raise it there as well as Meriden in some parts.

by PRRTechFan

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:
On the NJCL at Asbury Park, they should bring that portion up to at least 60 as there are too many grade crossings...
...can someone with current NJT info verify whether the MAS through Asbury Park is only 40mph? I thought that it was raised to 60mph a while ago after a welded rail and tie replacement project...

In any event, with the Asbury Park station just about in the center of town, no train is going to be running at 60mph for very long; they'll either be decelerating or braking in preparation for the station stop, or accelerating after having made the stop.

by hsr_fan

I don't know why Asbury Park is being singled out in particular, but the NJCL has dozens of crossings where trains pass through at up to 80 mph.

by shadyjay

Most places on the Springfield Line, the speed limits are quite high. On my recent trips on the Vermonter, we've flown through many areas, even through grade crossings. Slow areas are the approaches to Conn River bridge, Hartford tunnel-station, Berlin (bridge replacement/track upgrades), Meriden (numerous grade crossings). In other places on the line, the speed limit is probably 80 mph in spots. You're really flying, especially through downtown Windsor Locks where there are a couple of major grade crossings. At times when the cab car is leading, it kinda freaks you out a little bit.

Hartford Station does have space for at least 2 more tracks - the current setup is the only track through the station is Track 1, which shares the platform with another track (which has been removed). On the station side, there is another platform with space for another track, old #2. Really, this station should have been upgraded with (at least) one high level platform. But now that the wheels are in motion for commuter rail, progress may be made eventually.

-Jay

by Jersey_Mike

First, if Amtrak wants to simplify service they should first make the shittle trains unreserved.

Second, I went to school at Wesleyan so I have ridden the line a great deal and before the Gunn improvements service used to be even worse. Today it is about 100% better with my only wish being better co-ordination b/t local transit and the Amtrak trains.

Third, Amtrak used to fly through Wallingford and MDN, but localc just wouldn't stop driving in front of the trains and dying. A crewmember said that Wallingford had the highest per capita grade crossing accident rate in the country. Amtrak had no choice but to slow down.

by TomNelligan

This service seems poorly utilized especially when it serves a city the size of Hartford.
It is. Short answer: it's relatively slow and expensive and has been sort of an afterthought for Amtrak for years. You have to go all the way back to New Haven RR days (and very early Penn Central) to find a timetable where most trains ran through from Springfield to New York. The change at New Haven for most trips from a shuttle to a corridor train that may or may not be on time doesn't help ridership. Additionally, Metro-North from New Haven to New York is a lot cheaper and just as fast as Amtrak. Many people from Hartford and points south (like my sister and brother-in-law, who live in Berlin) just drive to New Haven and take Metro-North from there.
Hartford Station does have space for at least 2 more tracks - the current setup is the only track through the station is Track 1, which shares the platform with another track (which has been removed).
There were originally four platform tracks at Hartford, but the two westernmost tracks stopped being used regularly a LONG time ago, in the 1950s when Hartford-Waterbury service ended.

by Stephen B. Carey

TomNelligan wrote:This service seems poorly utilized especially when it serves a city the size of Hartford.
Additionally, Metro-North from New Haven to New York is a lot cheaper and just as fast as Amtrak. Many people from Hartford and points south (like my sister and brother-in-law, who live in Berlin) just drive to New Haven and take Metro-North from there.
I live in Hartford and though I would love to take the train from here it is really cheaper to go out of NHV. What I would like is a state subsidised train like the Shore Line East trains, which are great and quite cheap, especially compared with Amtrak fares out of Hartford, or even NHV for that matter.

by blink55184

Stephen B. Carey wrote:
TomNelligan wrote:This service seems poorly utilized especially when it serves a city the size of Hartford.
Additionally, Metro-North from New Haven to New York is a lot cheaper and just as fast as Amtrak. Many people from Hartford and points south (like my sister and brother-in-law, who live in Berlin) just drive to New Haven and take Metro-North from there.
I live in Hartford and though I would love to take the train from here it is really cheaper to go out of NHV. What I would like is a state subsidised train like the Shore Line East trains, which are great and quite cheap, especially compared with Amtrak fares out of Hartford, or even NHV for that matter.
Hartford isn't really convenient or economically worth while for much except a quick ride to New Haven.
From Boston, it is just absurd to pay a premium fee for a layover in Sprinfield, or to go all the way to New Haven from Boston first....

by Noel Weaver

One problem in Hartford is that the area has a huge airport with through
flights all over the place very close to Hartford. This airport has had state
financial support for many years and had the railroad had anywhere near
as much state support over the years, you would see much more service
than is presently operated over this line.
At one time during the Penn Central era, the line between Hartford and
Springfield was quite close to be closed down entirely to passenger service
and indeed the bulletins were already out to do away entirely with old
SS-274, later Spring tower in Springfield. At the last possible moment,
Penn Central backed off and kept Spring tower open but the service was
very poor for some period of time.
A faster trip between Hartford line points and New York is possible today
with the change of trains in New Haven than would be possible if the same
train ran through with a change of engines. I do not think there are
enough diesels capable of third rail operation available for through service
on this line and once trains powered in this fashion got to New York, they
would tie up trackage in Penn Station while their disposition was arranged.
They would either have to go to Sunnyside to be turned and service and
towed there by another engine or tied up somewhere in Penn Station and I
am not sure that there is anyplace today to do that.
The best way to run this line would be for the state of Connecticut to get
involved with Amtrak to reduce the fares, increase the number of trains
and finally to get rid of the all reserved seat service in the entire northeast
corridor which is an obstacle to further growth and makes no sense
whatsoever.
Item, a person travels in the morning from Springfield or Hartford or any
point on that line to New York to attend a meeting or conference. They
have a reservation for travel in each direction on a certain particular
train. Their meeting or whatever finishes up earlier than expected and
they find that they can make an earlier train back than first expected and
for what they are ticketed for but on arrival at Penn Station, New York,
there is a line at the ticket windows and it is not possible to get their
reservation and ticket changed in time for the earlier train so they just
have to wait around New York until their original train. Is it any wonder
why some of the potential business on this line will end up driving to New
Haven where they have a parking garage but very frequent Metro-North
service at less cost and they have the convience of returning whenever
they are ready without the hassel of trying to change a reservation and
ticket first?
In my opinion, Amtrak made a huge mistake when they went to an all
reserved status in the busy corridors.
Noel Weaver

by shadyjay

I never understood why everything in the NEC, especially the shuttle service, went all reserved. They say so that Amtrak knows better how to distribute cars/equipment. All the shuttles run with 2 cars anyway. If its for identification purposes, I don't see that being enforced, as I have purchased/showed my tickets on board and have never been asked to show a photo ID, even though it says that right on the ticket. The Springfield Line would be better if all shuttle trains were operated by CDOT as part of Metro North, or some other railroad, with thru service offered to New York. Amtrak could retain rights to run WAS-SPG thru trains and the Vermonter. If such were to happen, I could see the state of CT buying the line - it would make more sense for them to do that if AMTK service were to be cut even further.

-Jay H

by george matthews

shadyjay wrote:I never understood why everything in the NEC, especially the shuttle service, went all reserved. They say so that Amtrak knows better how to distribute cars/equipment. All the shuttles run with 2 cars anyway. If its for identification purposes, I don't see that being enforced, as I have purchased/showed my tickets on board and have never been asked to show a photo ID, even though it says that right on the ticket. The Springfield Line would be better if all shuttle trains were operated by CDOT as part of Metro North, or some other railroad, with thru service offered to New York. Amtrak could retain rights to run WAS-SPG thru trains and the Vermonter. If such were to happen, I could see the state of CT buying the line - it would make more sense for them to do that if AMTK service were to be cut even further.

-Jay H
Even better would be electrification to avoid time wasted in loco changes at New Haven. They could then use EMUs, on which reservation would be ridiculous.

by shadyjay

george matthews wrote: Even better would be electrification to avoid time wasted in loco changes at New Haven. They could then use EMUs, on which reservation would be ridiculous.
I used to think that way, until I woke up and realized that it would happen only in a dream. But just getting CDOT to wake up and actually put some thought into the NHV-HFD-SPG commuter line is a step in the right direction. Although I'll believe it when I see/hear about the first train. But definetly a short-term help for the line would be for Amtrak to add more departures, lower fares, offer "walk-on" (no reservations) service, and maybe another SPG-WAS trip. Gonna get interesting in the years ahead, I feel.

-Jay