Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

Its still there and still served by rail, they make potato salad or Potato chips there, Believe name is Endico.
The plant is on east side of Harlem just north of Mount Vernon west station in Mount Vernon Yard.

by Terminal Proceed

That IS in fact Endico. Though the company was recently sold and is now called Ace-Endico.

That factory had been in my friend's family for generations, and was recently sold (like 3 yrs ago), to his cousins.

They make all sorts fo processed foods there. They are the manufacturer's and owners of the trade name Sally Sherman Salads - Pot salad, macaroini, etc.. In addition they make all varieties of potato products there for one of the big name potato companies as well - i forget which one.

They distribute to restaurants,supermarkets, and deli's all over the tri-state area.

That was probly way more than one needed to know, but there is your answer.

by Mike Roque

I remember seeing the trucks dropping off potatoes by conveyor belt while growing up in nearby Fleetwood...I was one year old when that picture was taken!

by DutchRailnut

These days the entire truck with tractor and all is lifted on a platform like a massive dump truck and potatoes dumped in the warehouse.
  by oakpoint

Endico is the name and potates is the game !

I worked out of Oak Point yard in the 80s. Worked the potato house at Endico pratically every night, usualy in the wee hours of the morning after doing Stella D'oro cookie plant on the "Ole Put".

We would spot the cars for Billie Endico at what ever door he requested for a certain car. These cars carried big boxes of different kinds of cut potatoes which are then distributed to whom ever needed them.
They made some of the tastiest salads I have ever tried. I was told they own a big potato farm out in Idaho.

One fourth of July we spotted cars for Billie and he called us inside. He asked us if we were all set for the weekend as far as salads go. He took us into a cooler and gave us (crew of three) 6 five pound tubs of salad. Two egg, Two shrimp and Two chicken salad. I wound up with a shrimp salad as well as a chicken.

When I opened the shrimp salad at home I couldn't beleive the amount of shrimp in it. All I saw was shrimp.
Sally Sherman is the best !

Billie Endico was a good man to work for.

Charles D