• I need some historic station pictures...

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Boston-and-Maine

For my website, I need a historic (would like late 1800's / eary 1900's) picture of the following stations: WN&P - Hudson, NH / WN&P - Hubbard (Derry, NH) / Portsmouth Branch - Rockingham Junction / M&L Branch - Londonderry, NH

I dabbled in Google Images a bit but could not find anything... Heck, it seems like Hubbard never even existed... If anyone has additional info on that station or the Londonderry station, that would be cool to share :wink:
  by citystation1848

Are you aware there's a website called Railroad Stations of New Hampshire? Gary has photos of almost every station.
http://www.lightlink.com/sglap3/newhampshire/

Other than Gary's website, old railroad station photos can be found on websites of towns where the Historical Society has a stake in a restored station. Otherwise, you aren't going to find those photos on the internet. That's when the real legwork comes in, talking to fellow photo collectors and checking out eBay and shows for photos. But then some of the hard copy photos have their issues...

I have photos of Hudson and Rockingham while they were in use, but due to the copyrights I can't spread it around. Wish I could, they would be a nice additions!

Matt
  by Boston-and-Maine

Yea, I got most of the photos from Gary's site actually... I check eBay occasionally, but these stations (besides the Junction) were not all that popular stops :wink:

Both the Londonderry and Hubbard stations are gone, so there will not be anyone restoring those... I think I read somewhere about the Hudson station slated for restoration, but that has not lead to any pictures yet...

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed that you are Matt from the Nashua City Station website, great work on that! :-D
  by musehobo

The best place to get photos are from the Walker Transportation Collection in Beverly, Mass. They are open now on Tuesday 10 to 4, I believe in addition to Wednesday nights at 7 PM Check with Richard Symmes.
  by Boston-and-Maine

citystation1848 wrote:I have photos of Hudson and Rockingham while they were in use, but due to the copyrights I can't spread it around. Wish I could, they would be a nice additions!
Hmm, you mention copyrights, something which I do not know too much about... I have a book entitled At the Edge of Megalopolis: A history of Salem, NH 1900 - 1974... In the book is a nice picture of a Rockingham Racer passenger train stopped at the track... Now would I be able to scan that to use on my website? The copyright in the front of the book says the following:

"All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means without the prior written permission from the publisher except for brief quotations in a review"

Now to me that only talks about the acutal text, but I want to be sure... I did not see anything which copyrighted the images, there is only a list of them in the back of the book...
  by MEC407

It says no part of the publication. That means any part of the book, period. Photos, text, anything.
  by Boston-and-Maine

Aww, that is not what I wanted to hear, LOL... Oh well :(
  by citystation1848

That's why you don't see many historical photos at Nashua City Station, that and with all the current day photos I never really figured out how to mix in postcards and older photos. Now that that's figured out, thanks to Dane in Contoocook, he's allowing me to post some old photos of his... and some of these are OLDIES! I also plan on getting many of my old documents in my collection posted on Nashua City Station this summer. Woah, so much to do, so little time!

Here's a snippit from a good resource (http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html):
A work that was created (fixed in tangible form for the first time) on or after January 1, 1978, is automatically protected from the moment of its creation and is ordinarily given a term enduring for the author’s life plus an additional 70 years after the author’s death. In the case of “a joint work prepared by two or more authors who did not work for hire,” the term lasts for 70 years after the last surviving author’s death. For works made for hire, and for anonymous and pseudonymous works (unless the author’s identity is revealed in Copyright Office records), the duration of copyright will be 95 years from publication or 120 years from creation, whichever is shorter.
Good rule to follow: If it isn't yours, ask permission to use it, no matter how generic the source, and specify for website use when asking. Most people say yes and then you have something in writing that you can refer to later if needed. Sometimes if it may seem like it falls outside the copyright protection window, someone may actually own the collection or the image negative, thus owning the image today. If you have any further questions on this stuff or anything else, feel free to email or PM me!

Matt